E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

Forum Use Instructions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this information helpful? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Is this information helpful?

1. Yes (14 votes [82.35%])

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. No (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:44 PM

Dear Friends,

Welcome to NPF’s “Ask the Parkinson Dietitian.” We hope this new format will meet the many different needs of the Parkinson community. I’m looking forward to reading your messages, and hearing your thoughts.

You don’t need to register in order to read messages. However, you do need to register in order to post messages of your own. Also, you will need to log in each time you visit the forum.

There have been many questions about the new Bulletin Board. Here are some comments that may help. (It might be a good idea to print them out for future reference.)

(1) To register, and post questions, go to:

<!-- m -->http://forum.parkinson.org<!-- m -->

Register, then log in.

(2) At “Discussion Corner” you can go to any forum.

You will also see these options:

View unapproved posts

View posts since last visit

View your posts

View unanswered posts

(3) Tips:

- If you just want to see any new posts, then at the Discussion Corner Forum Index click

“View posts since last visit.”

- When you post or visit a Topic, you can click “Watch this topic for replies.” A reply will trigger an email alert to your inbox.

(4) “Dietitian” forum has topics listed as:

"Announcement" -- These always stay at the top of the Board

"Sticky" -- These always go under Announcements

"Q:" -- Question or comment from a member - unanswered posts always go right under Stickies

"News" -- Reports, events, research of interest

"Information" -- Facts or data that may be helpful

"Article" -- An essay by Kathrynne

"Product" -- An item or service that may be useful

5) Saving Posts: Sometimes there's a post that you may want to save. The posts are automatically saved on the bulletin board. You can access a particular post at any time, by doing a search for it -- there is a "search" button at the top of each page.

If you'd like to keep it in your own filing system, you can copy and paste it into an email and email it to yourself; or copy/paste it into your word processor or Notepad, and print it out, or save it to a file.

You can also bookmark the topic in your browser. You can make a bookmark folder for "Discussion Forum," and add all the URLs of your favorite posts.

When you post or visit a Topic, you can click “Watch this topic for replies.” A reply will trigger an email alert.

To make it easier and faster, try making “Discussion Corner” your browser home page.

Now, here's a message from our NPF website administrator:

==============================================

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Post subject: Forum use instructions posted.

Hi Everyone,

I have posted some instructions for using the Discussion Corner Forums on our website. They can be found via this link: <!-- m -->http://www.parkinson... ... x?&pid=467<!-- m -->

If you are having difficulty registering, logging in or just using the forums, this might help. Please take a look, and if you have further questions, you can send them to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:webmaster@parkinson.org">webmaster@parkinson.org</a><!-- e -->.

Thanks!

Garrett Baken

IT Manager

National Parkinson Foundation, Inc.

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:webmaster@parkinson.org">webmaster@parkinson.org</a><!-- e -->

<!-- w -->www.parkinson.org<!-- w -->

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2007 - 03:56 PM

Kathrynne,

A comment on this new forum - I'm sure I will get more comfortable with this with a little use, but I wanted to note that I liked the digest form of e-mail. It reminded me to look at the day's topics and I could just glance through the table of contents quickly to see if anything was relevant to my wife's situation that day. Then I could just forward it to her. The new forum makes things somewhat less convenient and feels less personalized (not sure why). Also, I can't copy this to the webmaster, which is probably where this message should go. I'm sure there are good reasons for the change but I wanted to register this perspective. No need to reply or post this unless you choose to.

Eric Stoelting

#3 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Kathrynne,

A comment on this new forum - I'm sure I will get more comfortable with this with a little use, but I wanted to note that I liked the digest form of e-mail. It reminded me to look at the day's topics and I could just glance through the table of contents quickly to see if anything was relevant to my wife's situation that day. Then I could just forward it to her. The new forum makes things somewhat less convenient and feels less personalized (not sure why). Also, I can't copy this to the webmaster, which is probably where this message should go. I'm sure there are good reasons for the change but I wanted to register this perspective. No need to reply or post this unless you choose to.

Eric Stoelting

================

Dear Eric,
You name some of the limitations of the bulletin board format, and I agree. I, too, liked getting posts in my daily email, and filing them according to my own choosing.

A couple of comments, though -- you can certainly cut and paste your text into an email and send it to Mr. Garret Baken, webmaster@parkinson.org

Also, you can check "Notify me when a reply is posted" on any of the topics or announcements shown. In this case, you will get an email notification; you can then go to the forum and check for the reply.

I hope this is helpful, and that you'll continue to participate.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

Is there a quick and easy way to email a post to another person? Other than to copy, paste, and send it through my own email account?

Thanks,
ChristineDC

#5 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hi Christine,
The Doctor and Dietitian forums are set up to be completely anonymous -- unless a person choose to include name/email in a post. So. unfortunately, this does preclude emailing a post to another individual. It is a drawback, but privacy/anonymity takes priority over all else.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:39 AM

this is my first time to use this site, hope this works.
i have had pd for 5 yrs. over the past 2 yrs i have lost 70lbs with out trying. i am on sinemet, comtan, plus lodosyn. nausea still remains my enemy. i also had dbs a yr ago. could there be a connection to any of the two.
i find that i usually feel okay in the morning until i eat something then i feel very crappy much of the day
i do watch my intake of protien re:the sinemet. can you offer any suggestions?( my pcp and neurologist are aware of this but not much help) thank you.

#7 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Dear Friend,
First, posting this way will work just fine. However, you don’t need to post on a previous message; it will be easier for you to find your post, and my reply, if you start with a new post of your own, because you can see your subject line.

Next, regarding your message, I find three major concerns:

1) unplanned weight loss
2) nausea
3) stomach pain (according to your subject line)

However, I am having some difficulty tying these together, and more information would be very helpful. You feel okay in the morning, but after eating don’t feel well – is this the stomach pain, or the nausea? It sounds as though pain/nausea is preventing you from eating enough food to maintain your weight.

Stomach pain could be due to slowed stomach emptying (gastroparesis), which can cause heartburn that can be anywhere from mild to quite severe. It can also cause nausea that is not controlled by Lodosyn.

The reason I think it could be gastroparesis is that you feel fine until you eat. This would be quite typical of slowed stomach emptying. The stomach does not process and empty the food normally, so usually an hour or two after eating the food, mixed with stomach acid, is still sitting the stomach. This can cause a number of possible symptoms, such as bloating, burping, nausea, heartburn, and a feeling of fullness, such that there is no appetite for the next meal.

If your doctors have not mentioned gastroparesis, I advise you ask that this be ruled out, because it could be at the root of all your concerns.

Information that would be very helpful to me is:

- the names of all medications used (both PD, and other medications, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, herbal or other supplements)
- any other diagnosed conditions (such as elevated blood pressure, food allergies, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.)
- any particular complaints or concerns such as nausea, edema, weight changes, constipation, sadness, etc.

- how much protein are you getting daily? You require about ½ gram per pound of body weight per day, to restore and repair cells, hair, skin and nails, and muscles (including the heart). While protein may block levodopa absorption, it’s important to be certain you are gettin enough to meet your needs. Lack of protein can be another reason for weight loss.

Please write back and I will try to help as much as I can.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

#8 thebomba

thebomba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

Dear Friend,

First, posting this way will work just fine. However, you don’t need to post on a previous message; it will be easier for you to find your post, and my reply, if you start with a new post of your own, because you can see your subject line.

Next, regarding your message, I find three major concerns:

1) unplanned weight loss

2) nausea

3) stomach pain (according to your subject line)

However, I am having some difficulty tying these together, and more information would be very helpful. You feel okay in the morning, but after eating don’t feel well – is this the stomach pain, or the nausea? It sounds as though pain/nausea is preventing you from eating enough food to maintain your weight.

Stomach pain could be due to slowed stomach emptying (gastroparesis), which can cause heartburn that can be anywhere from mild to quite severe. It can also cause nausea that is not controlled by Lodosyn.

The reason I think it could be gastroparesis is that you feel fine until you eat. This would be quite typical of slowed stomach emptying. The stomach does not process and empty the food normally, so usually an hour or two after eating the food, mixed with stomach acid, is still sitting the stomach. This can cause a number of possible symptoms, such as bloating, burping, nausea, heartburn, and a feeling of fullness, such that there is no appetite for the next meal.

If your doctors have not mentioned gastroparesis, I advise you ask that this be ruled out, because it could be at the root of all your concerns.

Information that would be very helpful to me is:

- the names of all medications used (both PD, and other medications, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, herbal or other supplements)

- any other diagnosed conditions (such as elevated blood pressure, food allergies, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc.)

- any particular complaints or concerns such as nausea, edema, weight changes, constipation, sadness, etc.

- how much protein are you getting daily? You require about ½ gram per pound of body weight per day, to restore and repair cells, hair, skin and nails, and muscles (including the heart). While protein may block levodopa absorption, it’s important to be certain you are gettin enough to meet your needs. Lack of protein can be another reason for weight loss.

Please write back and I will try to help as much as I can.

Information very useful.

Thanks.

บัตรเครดิต Lotus
C.H. CONSULTANT GROUP CO.,LTD. โทร. 086-314-6501,02-380-067sirirat@creditonhand.com http://www.creditcashplus.com/ บัตรเครดิต Lotus

#9 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

I'm glad the information was helpful; don't hesitate to post questions at any time, we all learn from each other.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users