E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter

DBS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I am checking to see how this new forum works.

Question is : I take 1 stelevo 5 times a day. Diagnosed 8 yrs ago. Just went up in stelevo. Am still having freezing and off times alot. At night the meds are off completly I know. Can't walk without walking inch by inch. Would I be ready for DBS? I am 57, female. Won't go on requip, got off less than a year ago with compulisive gambling and falling asleep at all times.

Thank you for your help as always!!![/b][/i]

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,501 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

It is great to have you on the forum.

Welcome to you and to others!

I usually suggest moving doses of Stalevo or sinemet closer and I like to be sure that the dose of dopamine is sufficient. For example you may want to switch to regular release sinemet with your doc and push the dose up with or without comtan or tasmar; then move doses closer and more religious (either 2 or 3 hours).

A movement disorders neurologist is crucial.
You then need a full multidisicplinary workup for surgery including on/off sinemet testing using a scale called a UPDRS.

DBS is not for everyone, and I would suggest reading the free DBS book at www.parkinson.org

After medication optimization and a full multidisicplinary workup you may prove to be an excellent DBS candidate.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users