E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter

LOW BODY TEMPERATURE, CHILLS, SWEATS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

I haven't posted here in some time now, but I can't seem to get an answers. I am a 36 y o f dx with PD in 2005. Current meds Ativan 1mg 3 x a day, Cymbalata 60 mg once a day, Lyrica 75 mg once a day, Requip 4 mg 3 x a day, Neupro 2mg, Trazodone 100 mg at bedtime, Lunesta 3 mg at bedtime, Vitamin B12 one per day. Macrobid 100 mg once a day. I have had several other complications throughout the past 3 years. After being dx I had melanoma R thigh, was taking Artane and was given Benadryl after surgery and had a terrrible dystonic reaction. 2006 Dermoid tumor on my spine, had surgery, was not allowed to take meds, after surgery, had a dystonic spell and busted stitches open causing spinal fluid to leak on my bed as well as collect around my spinal cord, ended up with meningitis, hospital stay 2 weeks, hallucinating every night, came home with pec line and vancomyacin 2 x a day for 6 weeks, then pre cancer cells on cervix, recently had TVH, kept ovaries and tubes. Have had to self cath for a while to empty bladder, ongoing prior to surgery as well as constipation issues, but now having low body temp 96.6, chills, sweats, and it seems to be worse after I eat a meal and occasionllay numbness down right leg and pinky toe will be completely numb as well as very fatiqued. I know I am a difficult case, but my GYNO seems to think it is related to the Parkinson's, not hormonal. He did take me off Macrobid and I have been taking Cipro for 5 days 2 x a day, but it is not getting any better. I have had a low grade fever twice, 99.1, but for the most part it is 95.7, 96.6 or 97 degrees. Any advice would be greatly appreciative. I know I am on a lot of medications and I am talking to my MDS about possibly coming off, but we were trying to get past surgery first. Thanks, and sorry for being so long, I just needed to give you an idea of my past history to possibly give me some advice.

Candy

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

Please don't apologize as we feel for you and hope you recover soon.

A few things that may be useful.

1- Cipro/Vanc and the other antibiotics may mess with the blood levels and effectiveness of the PD meds, so sometimes adjustments are needed.
2- Chills could be the infection or antibiotic, but in many cases it is simply wearing off between doses and going to strict 3 or 4 hour intervals rather than 3 times a day may be useful. The addition of sinemet may also be extraordinarily useful and may help you to sort out if the numbness is an "off" phenomenon.
3- a good neurological examination can help to determine if there is nerve compression causing some of the symptoms.

Many patients feel cold or warm between doses from wearing off so I would start there. The slightly low body temperature from my perspective is less useful information.

Wishing you well.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:13 AM

Thank you so much. I am beginning to think that maybe there was some nerve dammage done during my surgery. I do have nerve dammage due to the back surgery. At this point, I dont know what physician to see. I would have never thought about the chills and sweating being related to "off time" but it does make sense. It usually happens right around lunch and 6 pm when I take my second and third dose of meds. Thank you so much for your advice. You have made me feel much better!!

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,821 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

Good luck, a movement disorders neurologist or a neurologist with a lot of experience with PD may make a big difference for you!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users