carb/levo 25/100mg

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:15 PM

Dear doctor,

Recently my doctor add carb/levo 25-100 mg to Requip.(currenly taking 3 mg 3 times a day) I need to take both carb/levo and Requip three times a day. I am currenly taking levothroid .1 mg and Hyzaar 20/12.5 mg toghther 1st thing in the morning and wait for another hour to take Requip. Since it is better to take carb/levo on an empty stomach, should I take it with levothroid and wait another hour to take Requip or just take with Requip in the morning? My doctor wants me to try carb/levo for two weeks. If it doesn't work, stop taking it and take Requip 4 times instead of 3 times. Is it safe to stop carb/levo after two weeks if it doesn't work? I am only 53 years old, do you think it is too early to take carb/levo. Please advise! Thanks

Karin

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

There are many approaches that work.

I never have patients stop carbidopa/levodopa-sinemet abruptly as this can be dangerous.

I usually start with an agonist and then if tolerated work to the best dose that helps symptoms without side effects. I usually add sinemet when the time is right and again work it up tailoring therapy.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Author of Amazon Kindle and Paperback 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Dr. Okun,

Thanks for your quick response. Since I have to take Levothroid in an empty stomach in the morning and I know it is best to take carb/levo in an empty stomach also. Is it safe to take Levothroid and carb/levo together? Or is best to wait another hour, then take the carb/levo with Requip. Thank you for your time!

Karin

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,521 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

Karin,

Always best to ask your doc, but in general I usually let patients go either way---but I try to maintain the time intervals between doses so they don't wear off earlier.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

Author of Amazon Kindle and Paperback 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users