E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter

Artane

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

I am 38 and was diagnosed 2 months ago. I have some rigidity in my leg & arm and tremors in my left arm. The doctor recommended Artane. He said it works very well for tremors. I have been taking Artane for 2 months. My dosage is 3 times per day. Since taking Artane, the tremors have increased and also moved into my leg. My face also feels numb & I have had a headache since day one.

I am confused. I spoke to the doctor and he suggested decreasing the dose. I am taking 2 pills per day and there is no improvement or change.

Does Artane normally work well for tremors? If it does not work, is this indication of a potential wrong diagnosis?

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:06 AM

Artane or other anticholinergics are not first line for treatment of PD tremor but in some cases they may be effective against tremor. The big worry with this class of drugs is side effects---memory, blurring, trouble emptying the bladder, etc.

For PD dopamine agonists, MAO-B, Co-Q10, or Sinemet are the most commonly used medications.

Response to artane is not predictive of anything.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

Thank you for the reply.

Based on your reply and what I have read, I would like to discontinue use of Artane. Can you recommend the best approach to stop using the medication?

My main side effect is headaches. Is this a common side effect or something unrelated to the drug or PD?

Also, if my primary symptom is tremor in my non-dominent arm, can you recommend a treatment that I can discuss with my Doctor?

Finally, does Artane cause any long-term damage?

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:33 AM

Does Artane normally work well for tremors? If it does not work, is this indication of a potential wrong diagnosis?

Be careful with artane, I had an extremely bad reaction within two days of taking it last October, ended up in hospital - twice - and am still recovering from it. It has set me back (see "my story" in unmoderated section) considerably. I was prescribed it for tremors. I'm 52 and have had PD for about 8 years and nothing helped the tremors at all - except for medical marijuana which I've recently started on. Aside from helping with sleep, appetite, lethargy, anxiety, and depression, most surprisingly (after about 6 weeks use) it gives me periods (about 15 minutes) of complete stillness and sweet relaxation daily!

Good luck....

Jim

#5 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

Artane does not in general commonly cause headache, but it is possible.

From a previous post I recommended:

For PD dopamine agonists, MAO-B, Co-Q10, or Sinemet are the most commonly used medications.

Remember to speak to your doc about the best approach for you and to slowly wean off over days to weeks and not discontinue abruptly.

There is one old report in Annals of Neurology suggesting those on drugs like artane had more Alzheimer changes at autopsy.

We do not recommend marijuana for a number of reasons and it also has published negative studies in the PD literature. The risks may outweigh the benefits.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users