Can Stalevo be crushed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hi,

Can Stalevo be crushed if a person can't swallow and needs to take the medicine using a feeding tube?

#2 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

It is not intended to work that way...be careful when crushing as your nails can turn orange.

If it is given through the tube, then you will avoid staining your teeth orange.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

Dear dr. Fernandes
Is your answer a yes or a no? My Father, 89, is also struggling to swallow his stalevo, and he is missing some during the day due to the fact that he can't get it in. We give it to him with jelly, which helps a lot. If we can crush it it will be so much easier. I know the coating of some pills has a function, but what else can we do? I will start looking for liquid sinemet, we are in South Africa, I don't know if we can get it here. Does the liquid sinemet also come in a certain strength? My father is using 5 stalevo 150/37.5 per day. He is suppose to get his stalevo 6am, 10am. 2pm, 6pm and the last one 10pm. if he didn't get enough during the day, can we give the ones he missed during the night every 3 hours or so? He is sometimes more awake during the night, can also swallow better.
Kind Regards
Daughter

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

Sorry Dr. Fernandez, I forgot to ask if you think it will be better switching to regular sinemet which can be crushed? What do you recommend? Remember his age, 89. We used the stalevo because it contains comtan as well. He is getting very very weak now, bedridden and everything must be done for him. He does not want a feeding tube, I don't know what we are going to do! I think he wants do die now, he is so tired.
Daughter

#5 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

If the stalevo is given through the PEG tube, one might get away with crushing it, but this is not recommended.

If you are to mix it with jelly, I would not recommend crushing. Just give him regular sinemet...you can crush that as much as you want. Or if you have parcopa (dissolving sinemet) you could give that...it will melt in his mouth and there is no need to crush or chew.

Liquid sinemet is not bought in drug stores, it is usually made at home.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#6 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

Talk to his doctor, but I would recommend just switching to regualr sinemet at this point.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:42 AM

Dear Dr. Fernandez
Thanks for your reply. We are switching over from stalevo to sinemet. He is using 5 150/37.5 stalevo per day, one every 4 hours from 6am up until 10pm. Can we substitute each stalevo with 2 25/100 regular sinemet? That makes it 10 per day. The leaflet says not more than 8 per day? What do you think? He must get the same amount of sinemet that was in the stalevo?
If we make liquid sinemet do we just crush it and mix with water?
Regards
Daughter

#8 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,672 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

For regular sinemet there is no theoretical limit but you need to work with your doc and avoid side effects.

For the 150 stalevo the equivalent is between 150-200 or 1 1/2-3 tablets of sinemet and will vary patient to patient.

For liquid sinemet we usually take 10 tablets of 25/100 crush and put in ginger ale and store in a dark place/container. We add some crushed vitamin C tabs. 1cc/1ml = 1mg levodopa. You have to figure how much you need to take per hour to get on and stay on!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users