E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter

Q: Food restrictions while taking Azilect

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

I have just started taking Azilect. My only other medication is Requip (4mg, 3 times per day). My doctor provided me with a folder on food restrictions such as cheese, soy sauce, dried meats. One item listed is bouillion and that concerns me since I enjoy soups and they often have a beef or chicken broth. Does that mean I should only have vegetarian soup or cream based? Also, how serious is a bit of grated cheddar cheese on a taco or parmesian blended in a bottled spaghetti sauce?

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

Dear Friend,
It may well be that the FDA is being overly cautious with regard to rasagiline; I understand that Teva intends to conduct a study to determine whether high-tyramine foods are a concern with MAOB inhibitors. In the meantime, though, I would advise prudence. It is possible that some individuals may be more susceptible than others.

If you’d like to try these foods, I would discuss it with your doctor, and ask to be monitored closely. I would also familiarize yourself with the signs of hypertensive crisis. I’m hoping very much that future study will determine that these foods are not a risk, but until then, I’d rather be on the safe side.
Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users