E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter
Photo

How to Help Patients Who Can't Walk on Their Own?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RobertB

RobertB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

My mom has gone down hill a bit in the last few months and can't stand on her own or walk. It's a real chore trying to move her around. She needs help getting out of bed and getting to the commode (which is right next to the bed).

Do any of you have to deal with a person in this state? How do you move them from, say, the bed to the toilet (or commode, in my case)?

Thanks...

Bob

#2 wheelersce

wheelersce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hello Bob,
As a nurse, I want to be there and show you. That being impossible, I'm trying to figure out some advice for you. Would you be able to have a health care professional come and demonstrate transfer techniques? Maybe call the Office on Aging, or health department? There are some YouTube videos that might be helpful, but I got a little bogged down looking on your behalf. You want to keep yourself as well as your mom free from injury. A transfer belt might be helpful. If she can bear weight just to stand, the belt and a pivot transfer is what I imagine might be the way to go. Hold her close with your arms under hers,and your knees bracing hers, and simply turn the shortest distance necessary. How I recall helping my own mother as she declined! There's something about unavoidable close personal contact that is very meaningful. My sister, not a nurse, voiced rather unexpected appreciation for this necessary "dance." Best wishes, Sue W.

#3 RobertB

RobertB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

Thanks very much, Sue.

Well, we had to put mom in the hospital Christmas Eve, so we'll see what kind of shape she's in when she comes home.

Not the best Christmas we've had...

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

#4 wheelersce

wheelersce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

Bob,
I've done the "take Mama to the hospital on Christmas" thing, too. Not fun. Thoughts and prayers your way. Sue W.

#5 tempestdelfuego

tempestdelfuego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

I really understand what you're going through, Bob. We didn't take Mother to the hospital on Christmas Day, but she did fall twice and spent the day in bed. It was difficult but we made the best of it.
We put the commode right next to Mother's bed as she can't walk very well at all. Yesterday she thought she would try to walk to the bathroom on her own; luckily I was near and caught her, literally, in time.
I will try the 'dance' in the future if that's what is necessary to help Mother to the commode. I hadn't thought about looking on youtube for videos that might offer some help. Thanks for the suggestions!
All the best, Leslie.

#6 RobertB

RobertB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Well, I don't have a happy ending to my Christmas Eve story.

Mom never came home from the hospital. While in there they discovered she had lung cancer (Still not sure how she got it. Never smoked. Never around smokers.) She was in such bad shape from PD that we decided not to treat her. The doctors said she would most likely not make it through the treatment. I didn't want to her to suffer any more than she already was.

So, we put her in a nursing home close by. She needed constant care at that point. She started having seizures a few days later. They did a brain scan and said she had a large tumor. How all this stuff got past her doctors, I still don't know.

She passed away March 1st, 2009. When she was home, she was in almost constant pain from her sciatica, scoliosis and PD, but she never had any pain the last few weeks in the nursing home. We asked her every day if she had any pain and she always said no.

Don't mean to bring everyone down, but needless to say, this has been rough this year reliving everything we went through last year around this time.

Thanks to all the doctors and patients on this board who have been very helpful throughout the past few years.

Good luck to all of you...

Bob

#7 sea

sea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

Dear Bob,

My heart goes out to you for all the suffering you and your mother and all her family and loved ones have gone through.

Thanks for letting us know.

Sea

#8 Rogerstar1

Rogerstar1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

My condolences to you and the family. You did your duty and you did it well. I lost my Mom in 1986 and the passage of time makes the memories fonder and the photos and letters ever more meaningful to look at.

Roger

#9 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

Bob,

Condolences on your loss.

Please don't worry about what you could and couldn't have done. You did what you could with what you knew. Hind sight is what helps you learn for the next time with a similar situation. We are always learning, and with age hopefully comes wisdom. That is the value of this board as you stated, combining the wisdom gained from many peoples experiences, the companionship, and someone always being there when you need them.
Best wishes to you and yours,

Coach T

#10 vickih

vickih

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

Dear bob
Very sorry to hear this from you. My best wishes are with you.

#11 tempestdelfuego

tempestdelfuego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

Bob,
So sorry to hear about your loss.
My thoughts go out to you and your family.
Leslie.

#12 netgypsy

netgypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:13 PM

We're so sorry to hear of your loss. We lost one parent on Christmas eve and another just after Christmas. It's hard time for us also.

What we can learn from this experience though is to avoid doctor's who blame everything on PD. I've had that experience a number of times. I just go to another doctor and three times they've found a different cause for my problems - B12 deficiency, reaction to aleve (sent my bloodpressure through the roof) and side effects of dopamine agonist.

To quote a very good doctor "A (wo)man can have as many diseases as (s)he darn well pleases" so just because you diagnose one, doesn't mean you don't keep looking.

#13 vickih

vickih

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

Dear netgypsy
i know its hard to recover from such loss. You can always take a leaf out of tis experience.

#14 Angus Deniel

Angus Deniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

This problem is very often. I think you should provide a caregiver for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users