E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter

Duodopa dopamine pumps

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Are duodopa dopamine pumps available now? If so, when are they indicated?

#2 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

Yes and no.

Duodopa is sinemet in "liquid" or "gel" form. This, way it can be given smoothly and continuously for 16 hours per day. The idea is by giving sinemet this way, it gets rid of the motor fluctuations (wearing off, sudden offs, etc, etc). With duodopa, there is no need to take any other oral PD medications!

It has been available in selected countries in Europe for several years, but is finally coming to America. In the US, it is only available on an experimental basis, in only a few PD centers.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

I live in Rhode Island and have Dr. Friedmen as my Neuro. He asked me last year if I would be interested in being in a clinical trial with this pump....I declined. But if you are interested you may try to contact him.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

When you say the liquid or gel can be given continuously, do you mean by a pump which must be surgically inserted? Please explain. Also, are you saying with this method of delivery, the patient can get rid of mirapex and comtan? Last, how can I find out which centers are offering this?

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:41 PM

What about those of us who need sinemet through the night?

Is swimming a "no no" with the pump?

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:46 PM

I have three questions related to the pump. Would this delivery method eliminate dyskinesia? Is the surgical approach the same as a feeding tube? If so, once a PD patient has the duodopa pump, will a patient still have the option not to have it used as a feeding tube? From what I hear, I understand patients are really pressured by doctors to go with the feeding tube.

#7 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:22 PM

Let me answer a bunch of questions in one swoop.

Duodopa is a pump driven treatment that has the potential in many cases to have patients use only the dopamine gel that is given through the tube and no other PD meds. The tube cannot be used for food or feeding, it is exclusive for the dopamine.

In many cases it can decrease or eliminate dyskinesia but there are no guarantees.

Dr. Friedman at Brown is terrific. Dr. Fernandez is a main PI for the study and you can get sites by calling the sponsor Solvay Pharma.

They are available in the US only under research trial.

Swimming I think is possible but I am not positive and would refer you to ask a study PI at a site.

Hope that covers all of them.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users