#21 she-ra

she-ra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have partial results but could sure use some help understanding what they mean.
Sheila ^_^

#22 she-ra

she-ra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Still no response from my email request from 23andMe for clarification but I have been reviewing the results with a little more clarity. If I am understanding correctly, it says I have a decreased risk for PD ("slightly lower odds of developing PD, between 1 and 0.67 times typical odds/risk.) I don't know what to do with this information but will certainly share this with the Dr. next visit. The other results are interesting, so far nothing earth shattering. I guess I was under the delusion that this test would either exclude you or include for PD.
Sheila ^_^

#23 Kristakj78

Kristakj78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationAllentown, PA

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Can a blood test determine parkinsons disease?
Can a blood test determine if you have parkinsons disease. im scared!

No, but bloodwork can determine if you carry one of the mutated PD genes. Even if you do, it doesn't always mean you will develop PD. I had my bloodwork drawn two months ago (mid December), and just got my genetic results back last week. Turns out I do have a variant on the LRRK2 gene. I have a PD dx, and am young, so they did the bloodwork on me to find out more.

#24 cberns

cberns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWolcott, CT

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

OK, so I received my results back from 23andMe. They don't say whether or not I have the variant of the LRRK2 gene. They just say which genes are high risk and low risk for me for mutation. Anyone have the same issue? The report does state that I am at typical risk for PD and that it is 73% probable that it is environmentally related.

Any feedback would be awesome.

#25 Daven

Daven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

I received my results from 23andMe today. According to the results I have slightly higher odds of developing PD on the "Parkinson's Disease: Preliminary Research" section of the report. However, under the "Parkinson's Disease" section, I have a 1.3% chance of developing PD. That's less than the average with someone of my ethnicity. My odds of developing PD based on my genetics is low. I think I should play the lottery tonight. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

Dave

#26 she-ra

she-ra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

So glad you pointed out that section! I either overlooked it or did not understand what I was seeing. I am at slightly lower odds for Parkinson's and moderately increased odds of essential tremor! I will definitely share this with my neurologist next time. Guess I will buy a lotto ticket too.
Sheila ^_^

#27 Island Woman

Island Woman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationNewport RI

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I received my test kit in March...any know if it's still good and can I still send it in?

Patricia

#28 tlstarkenberg

tlstarkenberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBowdon, Georgia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

4/20/14

Got my free spit bottle and an invitation to take a million survey's (something I try to avoid). I spat spit in my bottle . I've got 50 percent of the surveying done, and the wait is on for the DNA results. Let you know what percentage I fall in.

#29 Beau's Mom

Beau's Mom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hi tlstarkenberg,

I did that over two years ago. I fell in the unlikely to get PD class, but found hundreds of 3rd to 6th cousins all around the world who wanted to know my genetic history!

Dianne

Dianne

I am not a human being trying to have a spiritual experience; I am a spiritual being having a (sometimes difficult) human experience.

#30 she-ra

she-ra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:24 PM

I also fell into the unlikely class and found cousins I never heard of.  Mom knew of a few and said not to make contact!!! Too funny! 

Sheila ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users