45 replies to this topic

#41 Bernard Shakey

Bernard Shakey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

Linda, I live in New York and to do the test I had to sign a waiver that I would not give my sample or mail it back from the state of NY. It has something to do with New York classifying 23 and me as a medical lab, but since they didn't meet state regulations/standards it was illegal for them to collect samples in NY. I assume Maryland has similar, but more restrictive regulations. I had to go across the river to New Jersey to spit in the tube and mail my sample.

• TexasTom likes this

Diagnosed: Dec. 2014 (Age 52)

First symptoms: In retrospect, probably late 90s: stiff shoulder

Meds: Currently none, but I have started a 4-5 times a week exercise program

#42 gravdav

gravdav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

Thank you, Laura.

Now back to why I started this post... Is it possible that a Micrographia Srceening test for children be used? They could print their name on a sheet of paper, letting a trained eye either dismiss or confirm a potential diagnosis of Parkinsons, all the while without noticeable physical movement dead giveaways. This why I say that there is no such thing as YOPD. Only "Parkinsons and people with the onset of Advanced Aquired Parkinsons [AAP]."  If we could tell of a possible furture life that will have to deal with all the symptoms of Parkinsons, why not let them prepare for this job's undertaking. [And I am NOT meaning to sound macabre.] They could start with the good diet of anti-ox foods and vitaman E supplements. The sceintific would an can now view Parkinsons from a different angle! Not from standpoints of the already afflicted!

#43 Dancing Bear

Dancing Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationThe Great Southwest USA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

Just got my 23andme test results and they currently do not provide health risk assessment info per FDA directive.  Is there a readers digest version of how to interpret the raw data for genetic markers for PD?  Thanks for any help.  

DB

Male, Age 62,  DIagnosed PD April 2013, DatScan + Symptoms 
Meds start June 2015   (Sinemet  25/100  1 Tab 3x/Day)
Diagnosed OSA July 2015  Using CPAP with good results 

Not taking even the next hour of my life for granted!

Internet Resources 
Christian Courier      www.christiancourier.com
Apologetics Press    www.apologeticspress.org

#44 New normal

New normal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

Gravdav

I totally get what you are saying...and early detection would be great. There are forum members who say they have had PD since childhood, but not diagnosed until after fifty. I think they are finally recognizing it is not an old age disease.

Like you, I would think it would be easy to get some kind of early testing. Specifically, on handwriting...which I know you used just as an example...I am in stage 3...I have little trouble with hand writing... I write big...and not slanted....if I try to,write small. Yes, it is not good....what I am saying that hand writing is a broad subject matter to best indicate PD early...but I agree with you totally that early detection would be good...at first, not as helpful...as later, when they redefine PD and apply more research because it will be proven that PD spans a much larger demographic than thought.
Dx'd 6/13 @ 66 by MDS in office with sub linquil L dopa challenge. Carbidopa/l dopa 50/200 5x in 24 hr span.
Reaction to Amantadine 100 mg 2x per day,Discontinued, 4/15.
Normal DaT scan '13, normal MRI, '13 Second DaT scan, 10/14, normal.
Symptoms: 90% controlled: significant tremors rt & lft side, rt leg drag whn tired, balance, slow movement, cognitive/ speech issues, apathy, dysfunctional autonomic systems
Cherish your loved ones, make memories with them..........now.

#45 swva

swva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Signed up  yesterday on the 23andme website. Answered a bunch of questions. Now just have to spit and send the sample when I receive the packet. Interested to see the outcome, but kind of apprehensive too.

44 yr old male

Noticed tremor December 2014

Diagnosed March 2, 2015

3 Sinemet CR 25/100 per Day
2.5 mg Isradipine twice a day

#46 AB-Normal

AB-Normal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationTacoma Wa.

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:41 PM

same here SWVA, I just received my packet... now to spit and send.........

Michael

Current age= 56

First symptoms: 1975

Dx.

Parkinson's Disease, Apraxia

Med's

Carba/levodopa 25/100 ER 4 times a day

Amantadine 100mgs twice a day

DBS surgery 12/2014............ Bilateral lead placement with a single battery/stimulator on RH side. Turned on 12/21/14

"I will do what i can, while I can, and when i can't, I'll do something else" 

remember folks.................

KEEP CALM, and PARKIE ON...............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users