J of Grey Cottage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

Dr. Ro,

Relatively new to this forum, I may be mistaken, but it looks as if no one responded to your post.  I can understand completely your problem with some doctors' attitudes.  When I first suspected PD, I saw two neurologists.  The first one was ignorant of some of the most common symptoms of the disease and told me flatly that I would be in a wheelchair within ten years.  What an unnecessarily and inaccurately devastating diagnosis!  The second one confirmed PD and immediately offered me sinemet, which I declined.  Not until I got to a Parkinson's clinic and later (in another state) a movement disorder clinic did I receive proper treatment.

Your husband is lucky to have a spouse ready to fight this long battle with him.  And I probably don't have to tell you, a doctor, that current medications and the slowly progressive nature of the disease make it possible to keep PD at bay for quite a while in most cases.  My first symptoms appeared about 19 years ago, and I am still in the early stage of PD.  I hike, play the piano, and manage my own household since my husband's death over three years ago. ( By the way, our wedding anniversary was September 4.)

I do not often check new threads in this forum and am consequently very late in responding.  I just hope that you will look back and find this post.

Best wishes to you and your family!

First symptoms:  1997

Dx of PD:  2002

Meds:  Mirapex, Azilect, Carbidopa/Levodopa, Amantadine, Ubiquinol (CoQ10)

Status:  Widow managing own household, still in first stage of PD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users