#1 Silverfoxx

Silverfoxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPitman, NJ USA

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

An update to my post/message of Apr 15, 2009 regarding the "accident" I suffered while on vacation in FLA. last March and April.

My second DBS/STN, for PD, will take place, tentatively on June 2, 2009 at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. The date is not "set in stone", yet, but I will be getting a telephone call on Tuesday, 26 May, with all of the actual pre-op testing and surgery dates. It will definitely occur at some point in time in the next two weeks, max.

"Living" with PD and only one of the four contacts in my brain operable has been an adventure of sorts since the lead was fractured during the third week of March. My right side PD symptoms have come to the forefront, probably due, in part, to the stress associated with what happened, and our biggest detriment ...... that nasty progression factor we have to live with! After thirty three years of this, I get angry at PD
now-a-days. The anger, which is positive, sure beats getting depressed about what the PD has done to me, to all of us!

At least I know that this "trial" of mine will soon end. On the actual surgery date I will be having two separate operations. As explained to my wife and myself today by my neurosurgeon, the first "phase" will be the DBS/STN lead implant in my left brain, for my right side PD symptoms. and the SOLETRA and lead extension will be implanted. Once all that is completed, then the 2nd "phase will begin ..... explantation of the fractured lead extension and the implant of a new one. After the surgery is completed my SOLETRA with the new lead extension will be turned on once again with all of my "old" settings once again. Then, as is customary, my new Soletra will be turned on 10 to 14 days post-op.

These past ten, or so, weeks has been sort of a "reality check" for me. My previous unilateral implant was doing so well by miraculously "taking care of" both sides of my body. I knew that one day the inevitable would occur and the 2nd DBS/STN would be necessary. but I was hoping, and praying, for a cure for PD would be found before. OH well .......... life goes on, with the enexpected laying just around the corner! My fight continues on ...... more bionically now!

I and my wife are both excited that this ordeal will soon be over and that I will once again be able to function "near normal" !

One more thing, to address a question I have seen several times, concerning pre-op testing procedures for a 2nd DBS/STN ....... the only testing being done for my upcoming surgeries is just the standard pre-admission testing that is normally undertaken by most hospitals. No psych testing or evaluation required for me this time. Once again, I will be discharged from the hospital the next morning after the surgery.

The only difference between this time and the last ...... a different hospital. Everything else remains the same regarding my surgical team and programmer.

Once I get the actual date, I will update y'all!

Regards,

Jim Evridge "AKA:SILVERFOXX_FIGHTING_BACK"
Pennsville, NJ unilateral DBS/STN 03-31-2003 for PD

"Always remember to be thankful for what you have. There are those less fortunate than you and I who have hope in their hearts and prayers of thanks on their lips." Jim Evridge AKA:Silverfoxx_Fighting_Back 02 Apr 2004
"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into a flame by another human being. Each of us owes our deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light." Albert Schweitzer

#2 ritters

ritters

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

Jim,
Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed and it goes without saying, however, I'll be pulling for you!
Steve

#3 Stargazer

Stargazer

Advanced Member

• Disabled Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

Jim I admire your courage, and faith you have gone through a lot, a true example for those that are contemplating DBS.

You and your wife will be in my prayers have a speedy recovery and be back to post we shall be waiting.

You shall be in very good care, Blessings.
Deeann

#4 Silverfoxx

Silverfoxx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationPitman, NJ USA

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

Thank you Steve and Deeann.

Jim
"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into a flame by another human being. Each of us owes our deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light." Albert Schweitzer

#5 cfinlayson

cfinlayson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Jim,

It is so good to hear from you and to know that things are looking better for you. I will continue to have you and your wife in my thoughts and prayers. I admire your strength and faith as well. God Bless you and keep that positive attitude, because it is very contagous (I really do stink at spelling).

Candy

#6 inspector

inspector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationStockton, CA.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Jim, I know everyone here is sending prayers and best wishes for a successful outcome and a speedy recovery. You are definitely an inspiration that helps us all. We look forward to hearing about the successful operation when you come back to say hello.

Best of wishes,

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users