E-Newsletter Signup Like us on Facebook Sign Up For Our e-Newsletter

Best way to get off of Requip

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

My husband currently takes 16mg of Requip XL daily. After a bunch of research and looking at the side effects, we have decided to eliminate the Requip and go to Sinemet. Our next appointment with the neurologist is over two months away and we would like to be off or on a low dose of the Requip by then. If we switch to 5mg of regular Requip three times a day, what would be the best way to start dropping the dose? Thank you for any help you can provide!

#2 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

Unfortunately, I think this should be done under the supervision of your doctor. Each doctor has a different style, and each style can vary depending on the patient. Your doc knows you best so your doc will best decide if the transition should be gradual or quick.

For me, I typically just estimate how much sinemet my patient needs and just make a simple overnight switch. I don't do this for some patients though...so its tricky....all a "gut feeling" on what I think my patient can tolerate versus what I think is most convenient for them.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:50 PM

I had major anxiety attacks when I switched to be aware that it can happen. I switched to the neupro patch first while titrating down on the requip and adding the sinemet but I had a very rough month.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Great point.

Dose and interval of sinemet and agonist need to be adjusted by your doc to minimize side effects from wearing off/delayed on's/and anxiety.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#5 Fran Beach

Fran Beach

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

Where do I go for information on Requip. My PD spouse was on it for a while but it caused major fainting episodes not related to positional hypertension. In getting off Requip he has developed PLMS (periodic limb movements of sleep or myoclonus).

#6 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

You can get information about it from your pharmacist, or your doctor, or the manufacturer. The easiest is probably your pharmacist...they are usually quite happy to do this for you.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users