• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 virgilplace

virgilplace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

Why do tremors/shaking stop during sleep? Why does this happen, what is going on in the brain during sleep?
And why can't it be leveraged somehow during waking hours? I have just started seeing someone with this condition,
so I'm getting to know all about it in my efforts to understand, support, and hopefully improve condition.

Thank you so much.

#2 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

Almost all movement disorders (with the exception of two) disappear during deep sleep. Tremors can still be present in light sleep. I'm not sure I know the exact answer to your question, but in general, while the brain remains quite active during sleep, the muscle relaxes, therefore, it can't really carry out the tremor.

I wish we could translate this into the the waking hours, but unfortunately, it does not go the other way.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#3 virgilplace

virgilplace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful and quick response. Would relaxing muscles more regularly, through deep breathing, massage, etc. then potentially be of value, if the muscle relaxing during sleep diminishes the tremor? Obviously, not as relaxed as during sleep, but potentially less intense, I wonder?

#4 Dr. Fernandez

Dr. Fernandez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Definitely. We know stress, fatigue and over exertion increases tremor (at least temporarily). And PD patients have the least amount of tremor in the relaxed state.

Yours,
Hubert H. Fernandez

#5 virgilplace

virgilplace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users