• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tishabruemmer

tishabruemmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

We are trying to find a good list of low-protein foods/snacks that my father can eat when he takes his Carp/lev in the morning. He needs to eat at this time because he also takes Exelon then and with his medisine dosage schedule being very complicated already (and my parents both being in their 80's), the pills need to be taken at the same time for this early morning dose (7am). We're really struggling to find something for him to eat that early in the morning. He also cannot eat anything too hard as he refuses to have his upper plate for his teeth put in that early and he is very groggy and not very awake.
He really does well after he gets going later in the morning, but this early morning dose is a challenge. I saw your list of fruits, bread with peanut butter, graham crackers, soda crackers, tomato juice, Smoothies, but was wondering if there were others. The simpler, the better. Many thanks.

#2 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Dear Friend,
Depending upon what foods your father will accept. I recommend fruits of any kind he likes, fresh, frozen/thawed, or canned. These have no protein at all, are juicy and generally appealing first thing in the morning, and add to the day’s liquids and fiber. Another good possibility is very well-stewed dried fruit, such as prunes, dried apricots/cherries/apples/pears, or any combination. These are easy to chew, add fiber, and if constipation is an issue, prunes contain a natural laxative that can be helpful.

If he is willing, also consider cooked cereals such as oatmeal or Cream of Wheat, with honey. These are low in protein, add to fiber and fluid intake, and can be quite satisfying for a breakfast. I would not add milk, however, as it is rich in protein and can block levodopa absorption. If he requires milk, consider Rice Dream or an organic soy milk alternative. If he likes toast, but cannot chew it, ask if he would like toast soaked in Rice Dream – make toast, butter it, cut in bite-size pieces and put in a bowl of warmed Rice Dream. Add cinnamon and honey if desired.

If he prefers something to drink, then consider a fruit smoothie made with Rice Dream/soy milk. Put this in a blender, add fresh or frozen fruit and honey to taste, blend. If desired, you can also crush a multivitamin tablet and add this while blending, for a fortified smoothie.

Later in the day, though, be certain that he is getting sufficient protein to meet his needs. Peanut butter, nuts, eggs, fish, cheese are all very good choices. He requires about ½ gram protein per pound of body weight per day to maintain good health.

Let me know if you have further questions, or if this did not fully answer your question.

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

#3 Beachdog

Beachdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • LocationCape Cod Massachusetts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

For those not in the know...like me... 1 gram => .0022 pounds. As near as I can figure, a 170 pounder needs about 3 ounces of protein (which I get from ice cream) ... and nuts of course.

Rich

#4 Kathrynne Holden, MS

Kathrynne Holden, MS

• Ask the Dietician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts
  • Locationfacebook.com/Parkinsons.Chew.On.This.

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

Marvelous calculations, Rich, and quite accurate. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard anyone go at it in quite that way, but – “there’s more than one way to skin a cat” – as my grandfather used to say.

One cup of vanilla ice cream has about 5 grams of protein. You require about 17 cups of ice cream daily to meet your protein needs. Unless you use lots of nuts, of course.......

Best regards,

Kathrynne Holden, MS

--

For a Parkinson Tip of the Day visit:

<!-- m -->http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/<!-- m -->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users