1 reply to this topic

#1 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

Don't stop participating in activities that you enjoy because you have Parkinson's disease.

I see many patients who tell me that they have stopped going out to dinner with friends, stopped giving the weekly committee report, stopped reading in church or just stopped participating in conversation; all because they have difficulty being understood. There are effective speech treatments that can help people with PD be more understandable. When you learn how to communicate so people can understand you,then you will have the confidence to share the interesting and important things you have to say. There are many things about PD that are challenging to control. However, you can control and improve your speech and voice with exercise. Talk to a speech-language pathologist with experience in PD about an evaluation and treatment recommendations. Communication is important for quality of life.
Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

#2 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

Communication is critical to quality of life. If people are asking you to repeat or you often hear "what", then it could be that you are not as easy to understand. This is a common problem in PD and affects about 89% of people with PD at some time. Get an evaluation with a speech-language pathologist soon after your diagnosis so you can start speech exercises as soon as possible.

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-ALP

Don't stop participating in activities that you enjoy because you have Parkinson's disease.

I see many patients who tell me that they have stopped going out to dinner with friends, stopped giving the weekly committee report, stopped reading in church or just stopped participating in conversation; all because they have difficulty being understood. There are effective speech treatments that can help people with PD be more understandable. When you learn how to communicate so people can understand you,then you will have the confidence to share the interesting and important things you have to say. There are many things about PD that are challenging to control. However, you can control and improve your speech and voice with exercise. Talk to a speech-language pathologist with experience in PD about an evaluation and treatment recommendations. Communication is important for quality of life.

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users