• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cureit

cureit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

I understand this may be an old topic, but Parkinson's is new for our family. I have seen videos and testimonials about the effectiveness of the Theracycle on eleviating symptoms and improving mobility in people with Parkinson's. Please let me know what you have seen of this form of therapy. I am contemplating a purchase for my mother. I have been cautioned to find out as much as possible before making the expensive purchase.
I would also like to know what Wisconsin hospitals or clinics may have theracycles.
Thank you.

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 20 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

I do not know the specific product and can't endorse it. Bike therapy, particularly on a stable bike with a seat and back to prevent falling (stationary bike) may be great therapy.

I do not know what hospitals have what equipment on Wisconsin but you could call the ones you are interested in.

There is great enthusiasm for biking and tandem biking as a therapy in PD. Jay Alberts at Cleveland clinic is the expert on this topic.

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 cureit

cureit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thank you, doctor. The Theracycle has a motor that increases the speed of the pedaling. This simulates a tandum bike in which a person with PD has shown improvement in symptoms after biking with a person who does not and, thus, is pedaling faster. I am currently trying to find hospitals that may be using one so I can examine it before purchase. Thanks again for your response.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

It sounds awesome to me and I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences with this cycle. You may write to Jay Alberts at Cleveland clinic and ask his opinion on it since he is the expert!

Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#5 cureit

cureit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

It sounds awesome to me and I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences with this cycle. You may write to Jay Alberts at Cleveland clinic and ask his opinion on it since he is the expert!

#6 cureit

cureit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Doctor,
In googling Jay Alberts, I found that he is the very doctor doing all of the research and making the positive claims regarding the theracycle.

#7 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Yes, that is correct. He is the expert!

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#8 StrkL

StrkL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:45 PM

I haven't used the Theracycle, but I have tried to push myself to high RPMs cycling. Sometime in late 2008 I read about the advantages of forced cycling, and starting in January 2009 tried to pedal fast on my own. I was able to do slightly over 90 rpm (which apparently a lot of Parkinson's patients are unable to do), but only for about five minutes twice a week. The rest of the time I would walk or use an elliptical machine - I was exercising about thirty minutes a day, six days a week. By May I was able to pedal for thirty minutes twice a week, at slightly over 100 rpm. By that time (May 2009) I noticed that once a week I could walk for about 25 minutes (going over a mile and a half) first thing in the morning before taking my medication. (Although this was EXTREMELY difficult and strenuous; I wouldn't recommend trying this unless you're in really good shape - before my diagnosis I had been a runner for forty years.) Up until July of 2008, I couldn't walk more than a quarter of a mile or so even on my meds.

Since then I've been able to start running again - I've gone as far as a mile and half at one time. I've also noticed that now, when I push myself hard running or walking - to the point that I'm starting to freeze - I can stop exercising and walk normally for a couple more hours. Two years ago, once I started freezing, I was done walking until I took more medication - and even then it would take one or two hours for it to take effect.

I also found that when I don't exercise, my medication doesn't work very well at all. See http://forum.parkins...t-and-exercise/ (Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:38 AM).

Everybody's response is different, but I've found that pushing myself - hard - when I exercise has really helped me. I exercise moderately most days, but once or twice a week I'll really push. I'd recommend, before trying the Theracycle, you try to pedal on an exercise bike at high RPMs, gradually increasing the time you do it. Try it for a month or two and see what happens.
StrkL

#9 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the great post. Everyone is different and I am so glad to hear your story!

Michael S. Okun, M.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users