gazelle66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Hi Tonya and all,
I thought I would post these as a separate topic as they will get lost in the general meander that is 'Good morning'

I found these exercises on the net when searching for something to help with my inability to lift the front of my foot properly. I try to do them daily but sometimes forget. I feel like they may do something just on the basis that I find them so hard to complete with my affected leg. I combine them with daily stretches to try and loosen up my foot / ankle and i'm also on requipxl 8mg. My walking has definitely improved to an extent over the past year or so, but how much is meds, how much exercise, how much stretching etc. I really could not say.

These were not posted by a doctor, but by someone who had successfully used them (not for pd) so I guess you might want to discuss them with someone appropriate..

Anyway, here they are:

Start by raising yourself up on your toes for a count of 10 (you probably need to hold onto something)
Then rock back onto your heels and try and pull your toes into the air. Again count 10

Repeat this process 10 times

Then walk on tip toe for 20 steps
Then walk on your heels for 20 steps

Then rock heel to toe for a count of 20

Then collapse and put the kettle on :rolleyes:

The instructions say you should repeat the above process 10 times a day for a month and then once a day for ever after. I've never managed the ten times a day. I think you have to be careful about not straining your back.

I hope someone finds this info useful - please let me know if you try them and how you get on.

best wishes

#2 MarciaJ

MarciaJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

I've been stretching my feet in a similar way. I sit on the couch and raise my feet and stretch them each direction. This way doesn't put any weight behind the stretches. Maybe yours will be more helpful. Sometimes my muscles hurt and stretching seems to help some. Thanks Gaz.
<3.<3.<3.

#3 Kevin Patrick

Kevin Patrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

This may not be beneficial information directly to you guys, but it may be for some. A common cause and something that commonly exacerbates foot drop, believe it or not, is crossing one's legs. Chronic leg crossing (not a disease, but a habit some people have), especially for those who cross on leg by putting the outer (lateral) side of the lower leg on top of the other leg's knee. This goes for ALL people of all ages, but for anyone with PD who regularly crosses their legs as described and has attributed foot drop to PD, you may find anywhere from minor relief to complete amelioration if you can break this habit. If breaking the habit is easy for you, you can see marked noticeable relief in a week. I hope someone can find this useful.

For anyone interested, this is an oversimplified diagram of the nerves afflicted through the pressure/compression. I found it via Google Images, and I do not recommend anything about the website or company in which this image came. This is solely provided as a simple image out of thousands that are similar with varying degrees of detail. Any further questions about this matter I would be happy to help answer. Take care!

My link

#4 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

I just uncrossed my legs :) teehee!

#5 jb49

jb49

jb49

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

I have had hip replacements and cross legged is not a place I go anyway.

Welcome Kevin Patrick. Got any cures for Parkinsons up your sleeve?

jb
Don't be hard on yourself, try your best and be strong!

#6 carol42

carol42

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:38 PM

I cant cross my legs cause if i do my leg goes dead and ive nearly fell from not realisen it was daed...... :mrgreen:

#7 Kevin Patrick

Kevin Patrick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have had hip replacements and cross legged is not a place I go anyway.

Welcome Kevin Patrick. Got any cures for Parkinsons up your sleeve?

jb

Nope sorry :( One of my old physiology professors claims to be closing in on one though. His name is Dr. Jian Feng via University at Buffalo. Here's a short article on one of his most recent publications:

http://m.medicalxpre...ns-reveals.html

This involved the gene PARKIN, and his work was very recently published in Nature Communications (March or Feb 2012) If anyone is interested in reading the entire publication (it is a difficult read) let me know and I will see if I can find a copy to send you.

#8 mickie

mickie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationRohnert Park, CA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

If this foot drop can be reversed, why am I wearing this awful foot brace? I go to PT on Monday and will ask them about that. My foot drop problem is recent. My left foot has been pulling rt for months but got worse when I started Sinemet in September. This is my second try at Sinemet, a year apart, and both times I have had very negative reactions, such as tongue and foot jerking. I am off it now but my foot jerked so much that it caused inflamed ligaments and the dx drop foot. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
May each day bring joy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users