#1 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

Hello all,

Last night was a little different. My DW has started having something like tremors during her sleep. Her legs, body and arms will jerk in rhythym at times. Last night after midnight her right arm started flailing around like a dyskinesia which she has not had. She whacked me which woke me up and I jumped out of bed. Her right arm was flailing around like an octopus tentacle in the movies. She grabbed it with her other hand and it stopped. It didn't happen again that I know of. She didn't remember anything about it this morning. Has anybody else had a similar experience? I know they talk about acting out dreams but this seemed different.

Coach T

#2 Franchar

Franchar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:13 PM

This answer is not really an answer to why her arms are flailing. What we did at our house was get twin beds. This is probably not what you want to hear. But DH was shaking the whole bed when trying to change positions and this was not allowing me to sleep. Our beds are actually pushed together and we can touch each other (we are that close.) But I find it is much more restful for both of us to be in different beds. I did not want DH across the room, but right next to me. That way I can keep tabs on him in the middle of the night, if I wish. We also have a railing on the side of the bed for him so he will not fall out. FYI we are 71 and 73 years old. It wrenched us to sleep in separate beds after 47 years of marriage. But sometimes we just have to face facts.

#3 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

This answer is not really an answer to why her arms are flailing. What we did at our house was get twin beds. This is probably not what you want to hear. But DH was shaking the whole bed when trying to change positions and this was not allowing me to sleep. Our beds are actually pushed together and we can touch each other (we are that close.) But I find it is much more restful for both of us to be in different beds. I did not want DH across the room, but right next to me. That way I can keep tabs on him in the middle of the night, if I wish. We also have a railing on the side of the bed for him so he will not fall out. FYI we are 71 and 73 years old. It wrenched us to sleep in separate beds after 47 years of marriage. But sometimes we just have to face facts.

Thanks for the reply. It has not occurred again, but now she jerks constantly while she is asleep. They are not severe but are constant and originally were rhythmic but are not now. It makes it hard to get to sleep when she is next to me and I am not asleep. I have been taking a break from the boards as the whole process of dealing with my DW has been consuming me.
Coach T

#4 netgypsy

netgypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

A king bed with separate supports for each side works pretty well. A lot of kings have two separate box springs and we even added two pieces of plywood over the box spring. I've acted out dreams for many years and "kicked" my SO playing soccer and smacked her while shooing dogs out of the house in my dreams. My SO will on occasion wake me and ask me what I'm dreaming and I will remember and tell her so she could well be dreaming that she was trying to fly or something weird.

I will now strike out so I sleep on my side turned away from her or if I sleep on the side toward her I move all the way to my side. Sometimes she just grabs my hand if I get too wild but it works fine. I also have to elevate my upper body to prevent my blood pressure from going too high or too low in the morning so I sleep on three pillows, one under my shoulder and two under my head. We tried putting pillow under the mattress and I just slid down below them but this works pretty well. It's a challenge fir sure.

One question - what meds does she take before she goes to bed? I take on sinemet 50/200 CR and it does pretty well. My SO gives me a regular sinemet when we wake and we just go back to sleep for at least half an hour til it kicks in. We use a spray bottle for late or early pills so I can take them without having to sit up. I just raise my head and turn it to one side and I can swallow without choking.

I do know that if I over medicate on sinemet before bed I'm really active at night so I try to keep it lower rather than higher. I used to wake up and take another Cr but stopped doing that because I didn't really need it.

It's a challenge for sure. I recently had a really bad reaction to two different antibiotics - one made me hallucinate and the other caused me to pass out because my heart slowed and was beating abnormally. Scared my SO to death she said. Luckily as soon as I stopped taking them I returned to normal but it's taking time to get my strength back.

The first thing I'd do is check all meds and perhaps get rid of some or cut back or increase the sinemet during the night. You can set a time and give her a second CR in the middle of the night and see if that helps.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. We're all fighting very strange battles and the more we know the better we can cope.

Edited by netgypsy, 05 December 2010 - 09:33 PM.

#5 coacht

coacht

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

Thanks Netgypsy,
She takes a clonazapam, SinemetCR (generic), and her Zoloft. The flailing arm has not returned but the constant jerking is still going on.
Coach T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users