Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:14 PM

Dear Forum Members,

Last week at the World Parkinson Congress in Scotland there was a lot of discussion about symptoms that precede the diagnosis of PD.

Three of these discussed included olfaction (smell) which may precede by less than 5 years, REM sleep disorder (acting out your dreams and vivid dreams) which may precede by 10-12 years, and constipation which is less studied in terms of lead time.

The identification of early indicators of PD will be important for the field once we have disease modifying therapies.

We will keep you posted.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#2 gmk

gmk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Dear Forum Members,

Last week at the World Parkinson Congress in Scotland there was a lot of discussion about symptoms that precede the diagnosis of PD.

Three of these discussed included olfaction (smell) which may precede by less than 5 years, REM sleep disorder (acting out your dreams and vivid dreams) which may precede by 10-12 years, and constipation which is less studied in terms of lead time.

The identification of early indicators of PD will be important for the field once we have disease modifying therapies.

We will keep you posted.

Unexpected and repeated FALL/S + ev. with a complication, such as fracture, especially, in a person (Age 50+), "anxiety"-on-exertion,
"depression", trouble with urination, not just the constipation may be early indicator/s preceeding diagnosis of PDs.
gmk

#3 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:32 AM

Thanks for the post.

Early falls preceding the diagnosis may be a sign of another syndrome (PSP, etc.).

Certainly anxiety and depression can be the first symptom.

I am unaware of early urinary incontinence being an issue, but certainly I have heard changes in urinary frequency and pattern. Early incontinence may also herald Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus.

Again, thanks for the great comments on early presentations.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life

#4 Ljubica Lojan

Ljubica Lojan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:46 AM

Dear Dr Okun,

You mentioned the smell preceding PD. What about smell? Does the smell decrease pprior to PD?
Thank you.
Emily

#5 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Emily,

Yes studies have shown certain smells are more commonly affected early in PD.

Banana, Licorice, and Dill Pickle are the early smells that may be affected.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#6 RandyL3

RandyL3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Dr. Okun,

I'm curious about my situation regarding smells. Since being diagnosed with Parkinsons my sense of smell has become more acute. Some smells appear to me to be so strong they become almost nauseating. Another curious thing is that it seems like my brain remembers smells that are no longer present. For example, I'll be driving and get behind a vehicle emitting a strong exhaust odor, like a diesel engine. For almost 10 min. after the vehicle is gone I can still smell the diesel. It happens with other things also. Are either of these situations known to exist with Parkinsons people?

Thanks,
Randy

#7 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

Very interesting Randy. I will post for you. I have not heard about this effect, but anything is possible. In some neurological aliments one sense may become sharper.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#8 shell

shell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Emily,

Yes studies have shown certain smells are more commonly affected early in PD.

Banana, Licorice, and Dill Pickle are the early smells that may be affected.

There is a ritual that religeous Jews perform every Saturday night at the end of the Sabbath that involves in one part the smelling of certain spices. Cloves are generally one of the spices. For quite a while I kept telling my wife to make sure the clove container is tightly shut so as they should not lose their odor so quickly. I did not realize it was my sense of smell that was playing games. This was at least a year prior to my being diagnnosed with PD.

#9 gmk

gmk

Advanced Member

• Members2
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Dear Forum Members,

We will keep you posted.

If a symptom/sign qualifies for one preceeding the diagnosis of PD, criteria should be set and first of them would be that it improves with therapy,
specifically, it is L-DOPA responsive.
gmk

#10 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

gmk

Diagnosis and treatment should be kept separate. Some symptoms respond to therapy and some do not. Now, you can classify in an individual patient which symptoms respond over time....but for diagnosis I would not recommend using symptom responsiveness for every PD symptom.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#11 Guest_TonyaV_*

Guest_TonyaV_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

Dr. Okun,

I'm curious about my situation regarding smells. Since being diagnosed with Parkinsons my sense of smell has become more acute. Some smells appear to me to be so strong they become almost nauseating. Another curious thing is that it seems like my brain remembers smells that are no longer present. For example, I'll be driving and get behind a vehicle emitting a strong exhaust odor, like a diesel engine. For almost 10 min. after the vehicle is gone I can still smell the diesel. It happens with other things also. Are either of these situations known to exist with Parkinsons people?

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

What you described is the same for me. My sense of smell is more acute, also. I can smell things that no one around me can smell and I also smell odors for a longer period of time like you explained with the diesel. I've had this "extrasensory smell thing" going on for several years.
Interesting...

Tonya

#12 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:23 PM

Really interesting. I will post to see if others have experienced the same thing!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

#13 RandyL3

RandyL3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Randy,

What you described is the same for me. My sense of smell is more acute, also. I can smell things that no one around me can smell and I also smell odors for a longer period of time like you explained with the diesel. I've had this "extrasensory smell thing" going on for several years.
Interesting...

Tonya

Hi Texas T,

I wondered if anyone else shared this experience or if I was just a "weird" one. If two of us have the same thing I'd imagine there are others. It's an interesting sensation, sometimes a bit annoying.

Randy

#14 shooter

shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:25 PM

An extra sensitive sniffer w/some odors i have for a time also

#15 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

I asked a smell expert in PD (a researcher) and he has seen many patients but not heard of this in PD except for smell hallucinations.....which it doesn't sound like that at all.

This is very interesting.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users