#1 shakyjon

shakyjon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationWashington, PA

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

My wife yelled at me the other day for talking too fast. She says that it's hard to understand. I also have this tendency to stutter. The stuttering I knew about, the speed I didn't. Are there any techniques that I can do to help slow myself down?

#2 Dr. Bassich

Dr. Bassich

Speech Clinician Moderator

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

Please see the posting on "Pressured Speech." It addressess your concerns.

Dr. Celia Bassich
ATTP Faculty Member

#3 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

An accelerated rate of speech can be common in PD and certainly can affect your intelligibility. There are probably other changes in your speech that are contributing to decreased unclear speech. For example, reduced loudness, imprecise articulation, and a monotone voice can make speech harder to understand. The "stuttering" that you describe could be palilalia, a hesitancy in speech that comes from difficulty with initiation of movement. Yes, there are treatment techniques that can help you. Please seek a consultation with a speech-language pathologist who can find the right solution for you based on your individual communication characteristics.

Sincerely,

Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

My wife yelled at me the other day for talking too fast. She says that it's hard to understand. I also have this tendency to stutter. The stuttering I knew about, the speed I didn't. Are there any techniques that I can do to help slow myself down?

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

#4 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

A rapid rate of speech can occur in people with PD particularly later in the disease process. Typically, when this happens, there are more issues with speech and communication than a "stutter" (although it may not be a true "stutter") and/or rapid rate alone. I recommend an evaluation with a speech-language pathologist. They will give you an evaluation and test the effectiveness of several treatment options that are available for this type of speech disorder. Some of the options include:
-Speech exercises to increase loudness such as LSVT LOUD
-A pacing board or alphabet board
-Altered auditory feedback

I suggest you work with an SLP to determine which is the right strategy for you.

Sincerely,

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users