Shaky Spice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:16 AM

Hello,

Is there any sort of therapy or technique that has been devised and is used to help PWP who end up talking rapidly either from meds or PD itself? This is becoming a problem for me in the workplace, and I teach so communication is a key element of what I do. I used to be able to readily recognize when It was happening and could slow it down, but as of late don't notice that I am doing it, so this must mean it is becoming a norm.

Even if there is nothing specfically developed for this issue in PD, any tips you can provide on how to control it would be welcome.

Thank you for your willingness to share your expertise with us.

Laura
“My destination is no longer a place, rather a new way of seeing”
Marcel Proust

#2 Dr. Mahler

Dr. Mahler

Advanced Member

• Speech Clinician Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Rapid speech rate occurs frequently in PD and can interfere with speech intelligibility. It can also be challenging to treat. There are several techniques that can work and the key thing to do is find out which strategy is best for you. A speech-language pathologist will evaluate speech, language, and cognitive abilities and select the best option for you. An example of potential strategies include increasing loudness, using altered auditory feedback, or using an alphabet or pacing board. I recommend you see a speech-language pathologist soon to learn strategies to be easier to be understood.

Sincerely,
Leslie Mahler, PhD, CCC-SLP

Associate Professor

University of Rhode Island

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users