• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mimi-Linda

Mimi-Linda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

I am 51 years old. I was diagnosed with Parkinsons 2 months ago. I am not taking any medication.

The main symptom I’ve seen with Parkinsons, is the inability to retain fluid, repetitive motion on my right side - such as tapping my foot, or waving my hand, or brushing my teeth.

I have discovered that if I sit down with my right knee at a 90ish degree angle and concentrate long enough, I can actually achieve a firm, fluid, repetitive up-and-down bouncing motion. The first time I do it, it may take a couple of minutes to get the motion started. But as I stop it repeatedly, it takes less time to initiate.

I know this is confusing, so I made a YouTube video to demonstrate:

What do you think the potential positive results of this exercise might be? To achieve those results, how frequently should this exercise be performed and with what duration?

#2 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:36 AM

This is interesting.

Certainly in patient specific examples people can find positions, and also certain movements easier. Over the years we have not seen consistency from patient to patient on any of these types of maneuvers.

What we have seen is that people may have little tricks and things that are great for them individually but hard to generalize.

In many cases actually patients are under-medicated and just adjustment of meds improves the entire picture.

I recommend Physical therapy and also medication adjustment. In many cases the resting leg tremor and rigidity can improve just from optimization of med therapy.

It is cool you were able to upload a video. You are the first person on the forum to pull this off.
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#3 gazelle66

gazelle66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationBlighty

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:36 PM

Dear Doctor Okun and Mimi-Linda.

I was blown away by seeing a video on the forum. Thank you mimi-linda for posting it. I would like to comment. I have practiced certain movements over the course of the past two years - consistently (daily or twice daily). I feel I have benefitted a lot from this approach. With no increase in medication, I have loosened up my shoulder / armpit area, strengthed my shoulder blade, improved my grip, improved my ability to lift my foot and wave my arm. There is a lot you can do and it seems to me that practicing 'little' movements helps a lot. Like trying to flick a pen back and forth between your fingers for example. I sort of think that if you do it every day, when does the day come when you can't? Hopefully never!! And common sense tells me it must be good for your brain to have to concentrate on these sorts of things.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts mimi-linda and also for demonstrating the power of video on this forum - a fantastic idea.

#4 Dr. Okun

Dr. Okun

Advanced Member

• Ask the Doctor Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  • LocationUniversity of Florida

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:39 AM

I agree, that consistent exercise is the key no matter what form!
Michael S. Okun, M.D.
Author of the Amazon Bestseller Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life
National Medical Director | NPF
UF Center for Movement Disorders & Neurorestoration
Read More about Dr. Okun at: http://movementdisor...hael-s-okun-md/
or Visit Parkinson's Disease treatment and research blogs at:
NPF's What's Hot in Parkinson's disease
or his parkinsonsecrets.com blog for treatment tips

#5 shakti

shakti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:00 PM

I agree, that consistent exercise is the key no matter what form!

i go to a really great dance therapy class specially for parkinson's folks. the leader is very sensitive to what we need to do. thank you for the video. i never did that exercise and find it difficult. ....but hey, here is a chance to try. anyone hear of trager movement work.? i have a book on it and it is about letting oneself free up on a movement, lighten up, can i do this freer, walking, standing etc. he was a doctor, dr. trager. just another way to help. we , also, kicked a plastic bag filled with other plastic bags around...in dance therapy. it was an idea coming from a guy in my class. it was very helpful and a great exercise. we started it by holding a stick/cane for balance, but then did the kicking without the stick. happy holidays all of you nice people.!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users