helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
gazelle66

The Music Store

Hi everyone,

Good traffic on this thread Gaz, you started a good one. TexasT, go to the closet and pull that cowgirl hat on. You and I like all the same music. Bryan, many Bus tours and people going on vacation from this area are heading for Branson, everyone here knows of it, especially Branson at Christmas. It is on my list one day. When Heidi and I were shy teenagers, we used to sit in her family's rec room and listen to Carol King and James Taylor on the "Record Player". There is a lot of music from the 70's (Eagles, Guess Who, Elton John, Simon and Garfunkel) that still get play time on the radio. (no Chicken Dancing near the Stero or else the needle will skip!)

Guest TexasT

This one's for you John (aka JB, aka my big brother).

We always count on you to lift us up and lead us through to the next day here. But, we're here for you, too.

Lean On Me

When you're not strong

I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

Thank you, John for being who you are! You are loved by many here!

T

well, I turn my back for five minutes and you all start rampaging round the record store. Some order please! :)

I've go two best and very old friends. I'm sitting here with one of them now. We have a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates between us. Talk about a blissful evening!

This friend of mine has been through a lot in her life. Her husband very sadly died of a brain tumour eight years ago. At the time she was a complete rock for her husband...did everything she could to make him happy and comfortable. I helped out where I could by looking after the kids whilst she was running around in and out of the hospital. Her husband, Ian, a lovely, very funny man, sadly lost his battle with cancer and died on the 20th June 2002.

We are sitting reminiscing. We love each other to bits and always will. So this ones for my friend Lynn. It's her wedding song.

Maybe you only get one 'true love' in your lifetime. Lynn has missed Ian every day since he died. But she will say the pain is worth it. She loved him so much.

Hey Gaz, you turned your back again now i am sneaking some dance in on you, I hope you enjoy it, I guess this is how some spouses & caregivers feel out their, So here is to them. I have a dear friend That I believe would let me hang out on her feet when I need to. I really hope this PD thing does progress slow, because i really feel I will be cheating my wife out of the best time of her life, her being young at 42 and getting ready to start a new career in teaching. But no need to worry about it this early on.

http://youtu.be/xnguqsMQmg4

Bryan

Hello All,

Music has been hugely important to me over the past couple of years. It lifts me, keeps me moving and keeps me happy. I thought it'd be nice if we had a place to share music that means something to us, with others here.

So....if this works it will be a miracle.......

This song you may know. It is a big anthem here still. Some think it's a bit depressing, but I find it hugely uplifting.

My link

thank you. i really liked the song. i never heard it before. my kids listen to rem, but i never did. the song tugged on some sadness i'm feeling about someone i see in a class i take for pd. she's falling and now needs to wear something in order to get help. she lives alone. i feel really sad for her. she's a lady with guts and she loves music and dancing.

Bryan,

I cried the whole way through your video.....it was beautiful. I cry so much on this forum, i'm suprised I haven't blown the electrics! You show yourself to be such a caring man and full of humour. Speaking for your wife, i'm sure she would rather have 'part' of you.....with all the difficult times that involves, rather than 'none' of you. So be happy Bryan, make her laugh....it's the way to a womans heart you know!

best wishes

Sue

Hello Shakti,

thank you for responding, i'm glad you liked the song. It's hard to see someone struggle isn't it. The price you pay for being a caring person, and I suspect you give this lady a lot of comfort.

And Peter...you continue to impress with your music choices! i've re-watched tthe GBU one several times it demonstrates everything I love about skill / humour / friendship / bravery.

So, shall we go a little hardcore? This ones for Anne, our lawyer friend. I hope you see this amongst your busy schedule....crank it up sister......

Insomnia

Guest TexasT

Hey Gaz, you turned your back again now i am sneaking some dance in on you, I hope you enjoy it, I guess this is how some spouses & caregivers feel out their, So here is to them. I have a dear friend That I believe would let me hang out on her feet when I need to. I really hope this PD thing does progress slow, because i really feel I will be cheating my wife out of the best time of her life, her being young at 42 and getting ready to start a new career in teaching. But no need to worry about it this early on.

Bryan

That was beautiful, Bryan...really beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

T

Bryan

i just loved the video. this guy, wall, is such a fine choreographer. i danced and choreographed most of my life, modern dance. this video made me cry. beautiful dancers , great piece. thank you. about relationships and life and challenges. my husband feels that the fact that i have pd is just another part of his life, something of his karma, a place for him to be the kind of person that he wants to be. we bring all kinds of experiences to our mates and you sound quite loving. now, i dance by painting pictures. life is a dance. thank you for the video.

I've got this mate.....

He's a bit of a wind-up. He jokes around and shouts wazzzuuuuuuupppppp!! in my ear. He pulls my hair and makes faces behind my back. He joins in my stories and makes up his own. He carries everyones worries and solves everyones problems. Everyone loves him. He is my soul-matey. How do you chose a song for a mate like that?

So, I decided......to just let him chill....kick back, shut your eyes and doze a bit......jb49, my dear friend. You deserve it.

Gx

Guest TexasT

One of my favorite Christian artists sings this song.

Glory to God in the highest,

Tonya

I just keep coming back to this thread......I love the self expression that songs allow.....Peter, for example. When I first got to know (of) you I thought you were a cantankerous, argumentative, ignorant git (absolutely no offence meant by that). With a good sense of humour btw. Recently I have changed my views considerably, as you know. Your music choices are the icing on the cake. They show humour, intelligence, sensitivity, wit (ok, so now i've ruined your image..). This latest song is beautiful. I hope you will continue to be cantankerous and argumentative at times - but you are certainly not ignorant...or a git.

And Tonya, this latest song reinforces your steadfast faith, which has shone through in all your posts.

I apologise that I talk so openly here, I don't mean to be too familiar for anyones liking, but I just feel so much emotion when I hear the songs people have posted, I can't help it. Well, that's not strictly true. I could not write all I feel, but it doesn't seem right.

This one is just because I love it

Bittersweet Symphony

The Verve

Hi Gazsusie,

Thanks for the song, I needed some of that yesterday. I thought why not? So I went to San Fran, met up with Otis, and just hung out with him down around the harbour. I used to play backup music in recording studios in the seventies during another life and had met him several times. It was a beautiful day on the bay and we even got Ann to come down for a glass of iced tea. The day went too fast and before I knew it, I was back home on the farm. Thanks for the flight of imagination Gaz, you are too sweet. j

ps your music thread is proving popular, you may have to hire more clerks to keep it in order.

Peter, as usual after the event i've realised my post might be rude. I don't mean it that way, it's just the way I talk, but in case you have read it already and are offended, i'm sorry. I forget (don't know how??) that we all speak so differently here.

Peter, as usual after the event i've realised my post might be rude. I don't mean it that way, it's just the way I talk, but in case you have read it already and are offended, i'm sorry. I forget (don't know how??) that we all speak so differently here.

My hide is tougher than whatever you can throw out! lol

You have a long way to go before you can match the 'dingo boy' ryan! lol

Typical dingo........high tailing it!

Guest TexasT

This is so cool! No matter what you may believe; this is awesome and might give you the goose bumps.

Crank up the volume!

Tonya

Well folks,

It's Christmas Eve!!!

I'm sitting here with the christmas lights on the tree. It's early an no-ones up yet. I'm hoping some of you will post your favorite christmas records today, i'd love to hear them. We've a mad day ahead - still stuff to do, and my family descend this afternoon. So i'm just having this little bit of peace to listen to my all time favorite christmas record......and to share it with you.

The Pogues

We've got friends coming over for christmas day, and then my husbands family on boxing day. I'm looking forward to it....my new little grandson will be having his first christmas. How special.

I usually post my daily thoughts in the YOPD section of this site, quite a few of us do, in jb's 'Good Morning' thread. But i'm chatting to everyone today. At Christmas you (I) tend to reflect back on the year a bit. Despite my diagnosis, this one goes down as a very good year. I've met new friends, both here and in real life. I've grown as a person (I know that sounds like a 'poncy' thing to say, but it's true). I've gained a greater understanding of the strength and humour and kindness inside of people.

I wonder what next year will bring. My hope is that it brings relief for all of you that suffer with this disease. Or at the very least, I hope you find ways to relieve the discomfort. And my other hope? World peace and happiness! And if everyone in the world wanted that, we'd have it wouldn't we...

Lifes not perfect is it. But as I sit here in the morning darkness with my little christmas tree lights twinkling I have to say it's pretty darn good, and I truly appreciate how lucky I am to be warm and safe and well fed. And to be loved. I hope you all have someone to share your Chritsmas with. If not, post a message. There are lots of lovely people here who will respond.

So, the christmas hubub? I say Bring it on!! Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you like the song

Gx

ps Petermid....this is a MUSIC store my man.....go to Smiths for your documentaries lol.

Tonya, my dear dear friend....you have melted me with this song!

Boxing day? The day after Christmas day. I don't know why it's called boxing day.....it just is! I would google it but it feels like cheating!

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas, i will add some music from one of my favorite ladies, Miss Julie Andrews, First part is from my favorite Musical, "The Sound of Music" That is the top of my Bucket List, to someday go to Austria & see the Mountains of my dreams, I have a tour guide that lives there ready to show me around. I hope you all enjoy this Music!!! http://youtu.be/-LBBVAO2J6k

Bryan

When I was a child, I loved black and white movies. I still do. Every Christmas my family watched old recordings of Judy Garland's black and white TV show. I couldn't think of a more glamorous Christmas then and can't think of one more glamorous now -- Judy Garland and Mel Torme lounging around the piano singing my favorite Christmas song, "The Christmas Song." Slip into your winter frock ladies, or don your smoking jacket gents, grab a hot buttered rum, an Irish coffee, or a spiked eggnog, and enjoy:

Edited by tremorgrrrl

Anne, i'm with you on some of the old films

I was watching one yesterday....reminds me of when I was a kid - every saturday afternoon I would watch a musical with my mum. Here's a song from yesterdays...a real classic...

and Gene Kelly is such a good dancer

Singing in th Rain

Enjoy!