helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
draco2023a

Sinemet

13 posts in this topic

I just got a call from my neurologist office and I will be starting Sinemet after my next appointment. I was wondering what I can expect as far as side effects. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. :D

Everybody might experience different side effects. I started a year ago. At first I had nausea. Dyskinesia, mild, started within three months. I prefer the dyskinesia to difficult movement. Overall, I love this drug - it gave me my life back.

I just got a call from my neurologist office and I will be starting Sinemet after my next appointment. I was wondering what I can expect as far as side effects. Any experiences would be greatly appreciated. :D

I am on Sinemet 25-100 since Feb 9 when I was diagnosed. I had nausea and panic attacks so had to decrease dosage to half pill 3 x day (I was prescribed full pill 3 x day). I stuck with it and am glad I did. I am up to a whole pill 3 x day and am doing pretty good.

So my advice is to stick with it. Let me know how it goes.

Hi Kim and Jenette,

Thank you for the replies. Was the Nausea bad? that is like my biggest failing. I had to quit requip because it made me so sick and switch to Mirapex.

Either way I don't have much of a choice but stick to it if it works.

Bad? No - I actually threw up only a few times eat something light first like toast or crackers. Now I take it on an empty stomach - works better - and weiry welcome the wave of nausea that comes when it hits my system. It means I'll be able to move normally in a few minutes, and I love that.

I am wondering if I might do better on Sinemet than Mirapex as I have had some of the same side-effects from the Mirapex that you described in your other post.

Should I ask my Doctor about a change? Was this something that you brought up with your Doctor or did they recommend it?

Thanks!

I am wondering if I might do better on Sinemet than Mirapex as I have had some of the same side-effects from the Mirapex that you described in your other post.

Should I ask my Doctor about a change? Was this something that you brought up with your Doctor or did they recommend it?

Thanks!

Hi again Capa,

My neurologist decided to put me on it. I didn't bring it up. I tend to just let them take the lead. If you have had compulsive side effects on the mirapex I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. What I am finding out though is it seems there is not a Parkinson's med out there that DON'T have side effects

Every medicine has side effects and every person will experience them differently, if at all. I don't find the Sinemet side effects completely non-bothersome now, and even when I had nausea it was not a big deal compared to the benefit. The side effect profile of the agonists intimidates me far more than Sinemet. My doctor wants to try adding an agonist, but I am resistant to that idea because of the many reports of people here saying that the side effects forced them to stop. It seems to be the minority who take agonists happily. The majority take Sinemet happily, though.

I'm not gonna lie - yes, the nausea was awful. However, my doctor insisted I stick with it. I decreased to half a pill 3 times a day. After about two weeks I was able to slowly increase to the full pill 3 times a day. I mostly take it with food. However, I'm trying to move toward taking it either on an empty stomach, or one hour after a meal. Not there yet lol

I'm glad I stuck with it.

Hi Jenette, Try Sinemet CR (controlled release) 50/200. This should lessen the side effects (I hope). I have been on sinemet for a number of years now and like others have mentioned, it has really improved my quality of life, and although I stopped working a couple of years ago, I worked much longer than I thought I was going to be able too. I also started with the 25/100 and got some of the same side effects. I started with 2 CR's (1 in morning, 1 at bedtime). This worked well for me for a very long time (along with Amantadine 2x a day also). At the moment I am now taking 3 or 4 of the CR's each day and Amantadine. In any case, I am a sinemet cheerleader as none of the requip/mirapex/permax's of the world gave me anything but difficult side effects.

Good luck, Ken

Hi All,

Just to highlight how different we all are, I can take Sinemt easily on an empty stomach and even did so throughout latter half of pregnancy. Mirapex did zip for me. Requip worked but only at a dose where I threw it up, so that seemed counterintuitive.

My biggest complaint is excessive daytime sleepiness; I take Sinemet and Requip XL - I tend to get sleepiest around the same time I commute from work back home. Not a good thing, but I do try to chew gum or something to keep me going.

Hopefully, Jeff, you'll experience very little side effect and much benefit. I am like a different person on it. The agonists really don't help a great deal unless on high doses and then you get the scary OCD behaviors. Just remember with Sinemet you'll most likely feel so good you won't want any off period and it doesn't have a long half life, so you may end feeling an on/off sensation much more than you did with agonist.

Best wishes!

Laura

How did I miss this topic?

If you really have PD sinemet will give you back your life.

Before sinemet but on Azilect and Requip, I had, 7 years after DX drooling, difficulty swallowing, really soft speech, terrible constipation, fog brain, shaking, freezing, tiny steps, balance problems, stiffness and horrible anxiety and compulsions.

Once I got my sinemet dosage optimized the constipation nearly resolved, the drooling stopped, no more freezing, not more shaking, normal walking reduced stiffness and NO MORE ANXIETY

I'm not saying you'll get all these improvements but it is critical to get the dosage right.

The down side - I have pure autonomic failure which mean I don't regulate my blood pressure well and after sinemet I'd faint after meals. I tried provigil and it did help but the really tight knee high stockings help me also and a compression belt like the ones at Home Depot also help IF you have that problem. I don't think it's very common. I inherited all this lovely stuff from mom's side of the family.

second down side, if your stomach doesn't empty the sinemet won't get to your brain and you'll "crash" meaning you turned back into the PD pumpkin with all the problems you had before you started taking sinemet. The crash can be short or long and you can take short acting pill but if your stomach isn't emptying, it won't work until it does. There are meds to help your stomach empty though so this isn't an unsolvable problem. The need a patch but so far don't have one.

third downside - protein competes with sinemet for certain carrier molecules used to transport sinemet to the brain so you have to time your eating so you can take the sinemet preferabaly on an empty stomach, but if not, then at least low protein for an hour or so to let the sinemet take effect.

fourth downside - if your stomach doesn't empty, and you take a second dose, you can have both doses hit at once and instead of crashing you'll go manic. AND you can't tell you're manic - you just feel great and very strong. If your spouse or friends tell you you are acting drunk or ADHD, you are probably a bit overdosed. Just warn them this can happen. It's unlikely it will cause you problems but I become very argumentative and know it all on an overdose and a bit drunk acting.

But I don't usually have more than one or two hours a day total crashed or overdosed whereas before sinemet I was lucky to get two good hours total in a day. a HUGE improvement.

Good luck and persist until you get your dosage right. When it's too low it doesn't help and when it's too high, you are superman who is ADHD and drunk. hahaha And IF it works really well it means you are probably a great candidate for deep brain stimulation dbs. It is wonderful for the right people.

How did I miss this topic?

Jeff did u start the sinemet? How did it go? I think I might have to bite the bullet and take it. for those of you on it cananyone give me an avg length of time between having to up the dose?

thanks

If you really have PD sinemet will give you back your life.

Before sinemet but on Azilect and Requip, I had, 7 years after DX drooling, difficulty swallowing, really soft speech, terrible constipation, fog brain, shaking, freezing, tiny steps, balance problems, stiffness and horrible anxiety and compulsions.

Once I got my sinemet dosage optimized the constipation nearly resolved, the drooling stopped, no more freezing, not more shaking, normal walking reduced stiffness and NO MORE ANXIETY

I'm not saying you'll get all these improvements but it is critical to get the dosage right.

The down side - I have pure autonomic failure which mean I don't regulate my blood pressure well and after sinemet I'd faint after meals. I tried provigil and it did help but the really tight knee high stockings help me also and a compression belt like the ones at Home Depot also help IF you have that problem. I don't think it's very common. I inherited all this lovely stuff from mom's side of the family.

second down side, if your stomach doesn't empty the sinemet won't get to your brain and you'll "crash" meaning you turned back into the PD pumpkin with all the problems you had before you started taking sinemet. The crash can be short or long and you can take short acting pill but if your stomach isn't emptying, it won't work until it does. There are meds to help your stomach empty though so this isn't an unsolvable problem. The need a patch but so far don't have one.

third downside - protein competes with sinemet for certain carrier molecules used to transport sinemet to the brain so you have to time your eating so you can take the sinemet preferabaly on an empty stomach, but if not, then at least low protein for an hour or so to let the sinemet take effect.

fourth downside - if your stomach doesn't empty, and you take a second dose, you can have both doses hit at once and instead of crashing you'll go manic. AND you can't tell you're manic - you just feel great and very strong. If your spouse or friends tell you you are acting drunk or ADHD, you are probably a bit overdosed. Just warn them this can happen. It's unlikely it will cause you problems but I become very argumentative and know it all on an overdose and a bit drunk acting.

But I don't usually have more than one or two hours a day total crashed or overdosed whereas before sinemet I was lucky to get two good hours total in a day. a HUGE improvement.

Good luck and persist until you get your dosage right. When it's too low it doesn't help and when it's too high, you are superman who is ADHD and drunk. hahaha And IF it works really well it means you are probably a great candidate for deep brain stimulation dbs. It is wonderful for the right people.