helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
fross44

mirapex and sinemet

6 posts in this topic

I have been on Mirapex 1.5 three times a day, the last dose at night. Should my single dose of Sinemet 25/100 be taken at the same time as one of the Mirapex or separate from it?

Jamie,

It all depends what you are taking to synemet for? If you let me know i can help you figure ot out.

Thanks.

Jamie,

It all depends what you are taking to synemet for? If you let me know i can help you figure ot out.

Thanks.

I am a Parkinsons patient and I am taking Mirapex 1.5X3. To help with muscle cramps and tiredness in the evening one 20/100 Sinemet was added.

Thanks for your help

Jaime

Ok, this helps. I would take the sinemet about 30 to 45 minutes prior to bedtime. There is no problem taking them together if the time is close together.

If you are getting up in the middle of the night due to the cramping, you could talk to your dr about sinemet cr. It is a longer acting sinemet that would help you get through the night.

There is also a specific muscle relaxer called baclofen used for PD spasms (also know as dystonia). Most muscle relaxers work by altering chemicals in the brain to get rid of spasms. Baclofen works by acting on a chemical at the sight. Very effective medication that works well on PD and MS patients.

Ok, this helps. I would take the sinemet about 30 to 45 minutes prior to bedtime. There is no problem taking them together if the time is close together.

If you are getting up in the middle of the night due to the cramping, you could talk to your dr about sinemet cr. It is a longer acting sinemet that would help you get through the night.

There is also a specific muscle relaxer called baclofen used for PD spasms (also know as dystonia). Most muscle relaxers work by altering chemicals in the brain to get rid of spasms. Baclofen works by acting on a chemical at the sight. Very effective medication that works well on PD and MS patients.

Dr. Mc Comes,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. As a follow up may I ask is it common for patients to reduce the amount of Mirapex e.g. from 4.5 per day to 3.5, as one is beginning to take Sinemet ER?

Many Thamks,

jaime

Jamie,

That is all going to be based on your reaction to the sinemet cr. Usually only one medication is changed at a time, because if more than one are changed you may not lnow which change was good and whoch change was bad.

If the regular sinemet is not relieving the issues all or most of the night, then the change to sinemet cr will help and, the other medications will probably stay the same. Then at your next appt you can let the dr know how the meds have been working or any issues you may be having and at that point the dr may increase, decreease, or not chaange the other meds.