helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Dr. Okun

Post of the Week: It's Not About the Bike, its about the Pedaling

Dear forum members,

A lot of attention has been focused on riding bikes with PD. Jay Alberts from Cleveland Clinic reminds us in the article it isn't so much the bike as it is the pedaling--exercise!

Here is a blurb from his article:

Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2011 Jul 18. [Epub ahead of print]

It's not about the Bike, It's About the Pedaling: Forced-Exercise and Parkinson's Disease.

Alberts JL, Linder SM, Penko AL, Lowe MJ, Phillips M.

Source

1Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 2Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, 3Cleveland FES Center, L. Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland OH.

Abstract

Forced-exercise has resulted in neuroprotective effects and improved motor function in animal studies. These promising results have not yet been fully translated to humans with Parkinson's disease (PD), as traditional exercise interventions have not yielded global improvements in function. A novel forced-exercise intervention is described that has resulted in improved motor function and central nervous system function in PD patients.

PMID: 21799425 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

I have been trying to follow Dr. Alberts advice and been riding 80-90 rpm for 45 minutes at least 4 times per week. Put on some music and it goes by fast. I feel better and plan to keep pedaling away!

Dear forum members,

A lot of attention has been focused on riding bikes with PD. Jay Alberts from Cleveland Clinic reminds us in the article it isn't so much the bike as it is the pedaling--exercise!

Here is a blurb from his article:

Exerc Sport Sci Rev. 2011 Jul 18. [Epub ahead of print]

It's not about the Bike, It's About the Pedaling: Forced-Exercise and Parkinson's Disease.

Alberts JL, Linder SM, Penko AL, Lowe MJ, Phillips M.

Source

1Dept. of Biomedical Engineering, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 2Center for Neurological Restoration, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, 3Cleveland FES Center, L. Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland OH.

Abstract

Forced-exercise has resulted in neuroprotective effects and improved motor function in animal studies. These promising results have not yet been fully translated to humans with Parkinson's disease (PD), as traditional exercise interventions have not yielded global improvements in function. A novel forced-exercise intervention is described that has resulted in improved motor function and central nervous system function in PD patients.

PMID: 21799425 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease last year. After I learned of Dr. Alberts work I started cycling regularly. I have worked up to 55 minutes daily (except for this week since I have a cold) at a cadence of at least 100 rpm except for 5 min of warm up and cool down. I feel great!

I have not seen any specifically on elliptical machines and PD, however my own theory is that the type of exercise matters less than the amount and consistency. Choose something and break a sweat while we await more detailed research.