helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miracleseeker

symptoms of wearing off PD meds

4 posts in this topic

Dr Okun,

My mom takes her meds at 8 pm and then goes to sleep. By 2 am she's wide awake and breathing through her mouth and mumbling to herself and clenching her blanket. Is this what happens when you are depleted of Dopamine? There's very little shaking if any unless I get her up to pee and then while on the toilet her leg will shake but once she gets back to bed she stops. She of course had already peed in her diaper but always have more to contribute to the bathroom regardless. She then mostly stays up with her eyes opened in bed until I get her up yet again at 5 am to take her medicine. She would have peed again in her diaper like clockwork and then the toilet after that. Once she takes her pills about 30 minutes later she will start breathing normal again through her nose and will close her mouth. She would then sleep soundly and cooing and be very relaxed. Is this what it's like for someone missing dopamine?

Some patients get re-emergence of symptoms in the middle of the night and if you simply re-dose sinemet once or twice in the night they do great. This does not work for everyone, but in your case it may be worth discussing with your doc.

My mom has a lot of generic Sinemet left over after starting on Stalevo again. What I've been doing is giving her half of the 25/100 tablet in-between doses of Stalevo when she seems to be slumping or on the days where she simply will not swallow or even chew up Stalevo so I use the Sinemet as a back up plan since it's so much smaller. In this situation I would then give her a whole 25/100. What happens is that it makes her even sleepier BUT... she gets very comfortable and relaxed. Yesterday I experimented and gave her a 50 mg Stalevo after fighting with her to swallow the 150 which she wouldn't. She chewed it up and it was stuck all over her teeth which came out after I brushed her teeth. I made her chew the 50 and gave her ice-cream to wash it down. She ended up singing and talking in bed for the next 3 hours without getting into deep sleep. Was she over dosed? Either she's on Sinemet or Stalevo, she still falls asleep. She wasn't like this before when the dementia didn't set in. Is that the reason? Could the PD meds cause her dementia? She always seems more alert mentally before her next dose of PD meds. Why must this vicious cycle continue?

This is probably PD progression, and many experts wean the dose (reduce the dose) and give more frequently at higher doses can worsen sleepiness in rare cases.