helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
casgilman1

Anxiety & OCD with Parkinsons

casgilman1    0

Hello, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons 2 years ago at 65. He has dealt with depression/anxiety throughout his life but has been functioning with limited medication. Once the Parkinsons came on all heck broke loose. He has been hospitalized once with doctors trying to find the right "cocktail" of meds for the motor symptoms along with the depression/anxiety/ocd. We are having a difficult time finding a doctor who can see the whole picture meaning the neurologist just says "oh your parkinsons isn't that bad" and the psychiatrist says the anxiety/ocd has nothing to do with the parkinsons.

What we know as his family is that he was fully functioning prior to the diagnosis and now he is not. He has no desire to do anything that he used to love to do like play golf, work in the yard, play with his grandson, etc. His mind constantly replays words over and over again which in turn makes him extremely anxious because he can't get it to stop. The psych recently tried him on wellbutrin but it just ramped him up and actually was giving him agressive thoughts. Right now he takes carb-levo, fluvox & buspar and zanax when needed.

Any suggestions on how we can find doctors who deal with both the motor & non motor symptoms of parkinsons patients would be great! Also any suggestions on how to deal with severe anxiety/ocd & parkinsons would be very helpful. I know there has to be others that have experienced this and I just can't believe that this is the best it's going to be for my dad-I just can't!

Dr. Okun    409

You may want to call the NPF helpline and get a referral to a center of excellence or a center where there is some expertise.

It is important to establish whether the anxiety is a wearing off phenomenon-- in those cases making medication intervals closer and sometimes increasing the dose of sinemet is helpful.

There can also be generalized anxiety disorder and other issues--- these are harder to treat.

The Luvox for the OCD is very good but must be titrated to the right dose.

Sometimes a mood stabilizer like depakote is helpful, but this must be taken on a case by case basis.

Some of the description sounds like apathy and not depression.

Bounties    0

Hello, my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons 2 years ago at 65. He has dealt with depression/anxiety throughout his life but has been functioning with limited medication. Once the Parkinsons came on all heck broke loose. He has been hospitalized once with doctors trying to find the right "cocktail" of meds for the motor symptoms along with the depression/anxiety/ocd. We are having a difficult time finding a doctor who can see the whole picture meaning the neurologist just says "oh your parkinsons isn't that bad" and the psychiatrist says the anxiety/ocd has nothing to do with the parkinsons.

What we know as his family is that he was fully functioning prior to the diagnosis and now he is not. He has no desire to do anything that he used to love to do like play golf, work in the yard, play with his grandson, etc. His mind constantly replays words over and over again which in turn makes him extremely anxious because he can't get it to stop. The psych recently tried him on wellbutrin but it just ramped him up and actually was giving him agressive thoughts. Right now he takes carb-levo, fluvox & buspar and zanax when needed.

Any suggestions on how we can find doctors who deal with both the motor & non motor symptoms of parkinsons patients would be great! Also any suggestions on how to deal with severe anxiety/ocd & parkinsons would be very helpful. I know there has to be others that have experienced this and I just can't believe that this is the best it's going to be for my dad-I just can't!

Bounties    0

Join a local support group, I think they are called chapters in America. Sometimes than can tell you who are the best neurologists are from practical experience. Plus relating to others with the same problems can help to resolve things easier. :D