helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
summergrace22

Azilect

8 posts in this topic

Is anyone taking Azilect? What dossage? Any side effects? Any noticeable changes? Does the warning label restrict you from certain foods such as cheese?

Michelle D

hi

I have been taking it for about three years and have had no side effects. i started taking it as the only drug for pd, but it did not help my symptoms. I have decided to continue since it is supposed to slow down disease. I am also taking mirapex and soon will add simnemet.

good luck.

Been taking it for a few months. Mild symptomatic improvement with finger dexterity. But the main reason I take it (other than the neuroprotective possibility) is because its main chemical "mechanism" is to reduce dopamine metabolism (i.e. destruction) - i.e. I think its increasing the time each levodopa dose lasts. I think this is an under appreciated effect of Azilect - it can smooth out the on/off "cliff" and possibly allow a lower overall dose of levodopa.

I have been taking it for two years but my neurodoc suggested dropping it since the neuro-protective qualities have not ben verified. I had no symptomatic release from Azile$t alone. I was on 100mg 1x per day. To use up my VERY EXPENSIVE stash, we decided to split the pills to 50ml and see how it goes.

Is anyone taking Azilect? What dossage? Any side effects? Any noticeable changes? Does the warning label restrict you from certain foods such as cheese?

Michelle D

I take one tablet of AZILECT (1 MG) once per day. The only other drug I take for PD is SINEMET -- and I take quite a bit of that, day and night. I have not noticed any changes whatsoever since I began taking AZILECT (A). I get no recognizable side effects from (A). If it is helping me in some way, darned if I know how. I'm planning on mentioning this to my doctor next time I'm in. Frankly, I favor coming off of the drug since it doesn't appear to be helping me in any way.

I understand the comments about (A) possibly contributing to a longer period of effectiveness for carbidopa/levadopa, but PWP don't really realize that until they have experienced it. The longevity of C/L may just as well be from bumping up exercise for an extended period of time. Who knows?

My best to you,

Oneguy

I take 1 1/2 tablets per day, but just increased my dosage. So far, I've had a little more trouble going to sleep since the increase, but I'm not sure whether that's just mental! Nothing too drastic in terms of side effets when I was on the 1 tablet per day, though.

i was on azilect for about a year. i was concerned when i first started taking with all the warnings, but after talking to doc it was more for the older maio s . i really didnt seem to notice any difference though. good lluck

My experience with azilect was not a positive one.I was diagnosed with PD 16 years ago and have been taking sinemet and comtan since. In the last year or two, I have started having dyskinesia.

My neurologist wanted to try the Azilect. He prescribed it and I began taking it January 1 of this year. He gave me samples, and I don't remember the dosage, but I know that I started with one pill and moved up to two after a couple of weeks per his advice. I was vacationing away from home most of that month. By the time I returned home, I had terrible dyskinesia. I also was very anxious I had gotten to the point where driving, especially in traffic, was difficult because I had trouble sustaining the correct pressure with my right foot on the accelerator. My gait was also impaired. I saw my neurologist soon upon returning home, and he took me off the Azilect. Since then, I continue to have dyskinesia (although less than that experienced in January) and am now considering DBS. I'm glad to hear that other people have had a positive response, but I certainly did not. Jane