helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
williamg

Vitamin D Deficiency

Hello all...

I got a call from the Neurologist this morning telling me I was extremely low on Vitamin D. I had been prescribed Vit D when I originally went to the doctor in December for falling down. I did a quick search and found a bunch of results about PD and Vitamin D Deficiency's.

Anyone here been tested? I'm curious to see how many here have this issue.

Hello s k singh gaur. My location seem's to fit the build so to speak! Have you heard of others with the Vitamin deficiency? Care to explain your opinion on how it could be cured?

I'm Vitamin D deficient. Neuro said that it could be causing some of my leg cramping. He put me on 6000 IU's a day and then retested several weeks later. I was only up to 23 (they want it around 50), so the dose is now 12,000 IU's per day of D3. I haven't been retested lately to see where I'm at now, but the leg cramps have improved.

BTW...this is another common problem amongst PD pts that doc's seem to fail to recognize, in addition to the previously mentioned memory problems.

Kevin

I've had osteoporosis since my late 40's and have been talking Calcium+D for over ten years. I also use a nasal spray for the osteo because I can't tolerate the prescription pills. At the time, no one suspected PD, but now I think it was just another unnoticed symptom.

I'm 45 and I have osteopenia. Last time checked my Vit D level was 28. I now take 2000 D3 daily. I've broken my arms 5 times over the years. Last broken arm was 3 years ago and was by far the worst. My mother and both of my sisters also have osteopenia or osteoporosis.

Delta

I have never been tested for a vitamin deficiency but spend hours in the sun soaking up the wonderful warm rays. When I am in Barbados for the winter I have less PD symptoms. My balance is better, I can walk faster and with no tripping, my body is not so stiff and way less pain! I use to spend several weeks a year in a warm location before the PD diagnosis, but did grow up in northern BC so didn't necessarily get lots of sun then. Shall put that on my list to ask my GP next visit.

Deanna

My grandfather had PD. He worked construction and farmed 75 acres so he was always tan from what I can remember.

Here is a tidbit of info.

The American Medical Association’s Archives of Neurologyhas published an interesting article that confirms prior observations that Vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency are more common in patients with Parkinson's disease (even in the very earliest stages) than in the general population.

It remains uncertain if this is simply an association with Parkinson’s-perhaps related to dietary changes, reduced exposure to sunlight, or other unknown factors-or if this represents a significant underlying feature of the disease worthy of further investigation and potential therapeutic intervention.

The increase in Vitamin D levels over the course of the study, during which there was a significant worsening in signs and symptoms, suggests that simply raising Vitamin D levels may not improve Parkinson’s disease symptoms.

Edited by williamg

I was tested in January of this year for my vitamin D level, and it was 8! And I get outside every day to walk my dog. So I'm sure PD is causing it to be ridiculously low. The PA put me on 50,000 IU's / week, I was taking it for about 5 months. but the PA never retested me. So I stopped on my own (note: I'm not happy with my present medical care, but that's a whole other post).

I was diagnosed in Feb of 2011, at age 49. I'm still in early stages of symptoms, taking 1mg of Pramipexole 3x/day, No tremors, some stiffness on left side. My latest symptom is: food seems to stay in my stomach for a long time, 10-12 hrs. I looked it up on the Internet and it sounds like Gastroparesis, and of course PD is mentioned as a possible cause. I will go see my Neurologist in September.

Hello Rick-PacNW!

I moved back to WA last year after having lived in TX for 30 years. I was born in Seattle, grew up in South Snohomish County, graduated from Edmonds High School. Are you a native Washingtonian? I was in a hospital in Federal Way this past January, but I think they moved to Tacoma. My grandson lives in Maple Valley, and my good friend Brooke lives in Des Moines! We're practically neighbors!

Hi Dianne! No, I was born in Florida, came to the NW in '89. My daughter was born in a Federal Way hospital (St. Francis), in 2002. I worked for Boeing the last 13+ years, before a layoff. The last year I worked there was at the Everett plant - a brutal commute (54 miles each way), as you know thru downtown Seattle. But I love Seattle anyway! :-P In what part of Texas did you live? Many years ago I went to San Antonio for Air Force basic training. Nice city.

I am on the other side of the state from both of you. Deer Park 15 miles north of Spokane!! Transplant from Sacramento. I take 50000und caps.....

That sounds like a lot of meds. Is it carpidopa-levodopa? If you ever come across the mountains be sure to let me know. I like meeting forum folks!

It is a large dose of vitamin D but only taken once a week. My Carb-Levo is 25/100. If I ever do head that way I will look you up. The wife has never been to Seattle and would like to some day.

• Like 2

I didn't realize there was a possible connection between Parkinson's and vitamin D deficiency. I was diagnosed 9 years ago at the age of 41. I had bloodwork done about a month ago during a routine physical and my Vitamin D level was a 13, so my doc put me on 50,000 i.u.'s once a week for a about 2 months, then I'll get retested. I'll be sure to stay on top of this from now on.

Hello SandyR and welcome... I was started on Vitamin D at the beginning of the year, stopped taking it for a few months and was tested again showing the same results as the first test so put back on it. Keep us updated on this subject and stick around.

I take 1,000 IU of D3 every day...was tested 2 yrs. ago...level was 27 now up to 68. Had a bone dentsity this yrs and so far every thing ok. Maybe blood work this Nov. to check D level...was told test was expensive so it's not done with annual blood work.

Patricia

Hello Patricia,

I don't know anything about the cost of the test. I am sure by now my insurance provider is wondering how to kick me out of the club! :mrgreen: Keep us posted on the results when you do have another test done.