helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
kstaron

Parkinsons & the Flu

Hello -

My mother has had PD for 30 years. She still has her swallow and speech functionality.

She spent about 4 days fatigued, and by the 5th day, could not swallow or speak. It was VERY scary. Her neurologist said that 'Parkinson's does not just jump of a bridge' and that changes are typically gradual. By day 6, she had a low grade fever, body aches, etc, and getting fluids into her was tough, but we managed to stay out of the hospital, which was our goal. Slowly her speech and swallowing returned, just weaker than we started. For me, it was a blessing that it didnt seem directly related to the PD.

My question is - Did the bug, virus, or flu she encountered simply attack her weakest muscle or functionality? Would something like the flu put her in this temporary state of paralysis, or is it more a function of the dopamine withdrawl, etc.

My thought process was that if she was so weak she couldnt use her arms and hands, how could she possibly speak or swallow. Is my thinking correct?

Thank you.

Sickness, flu, stress, and sleep deprivation can all make PD symptoms worse. Also, dehydration can make it worse.

I am glad she is rebounding.

Also, one other point is that infection and antibiotics can affect absorption of PD meds.

doctor,

currently am facing a root canal, have abscessed gums. Are there any antibiotics that are to be avoided or preferred so as to not effect pd meds (carbi/levo and requip) absorption?

There are no studies on this issues (believe it or not). I usually let the doc choose the antibiotics and then tell the patients to be prepared that the PD meds may not work as well from the stress of the procedure, and from the antibiotics getting in the way of the absorption of the medications.

Doctor,

Well, the root canal doctor says no guarantee that doing root canal will solve probblem, and has recommended an extractraction., to be then followed with an implanted tooth, or bridge. Obviously, I would like the most minimally invasive, least painful and most economical procedure. Is there any advise you can give me? How long is it likely to take after this procedure for my meds to regain their effectiveness? I have been spacing out the antibiotics ( which need to be taken 3x daily) and my carb/levo. I know that you would not be able to give me an "etched in stone" answer, but any guidance would be appreciated.

What I tell my patients is to take it easy and guard against falling. Get help in the house, and be ready for the unexpected. If the PD meds go completely out of whack, call the neurologist for a temporary adjustment.

doctor, thanks for the advise. my plan is to wait until i'm done with the antibiotics ( which will be upcoming friday )before the dental procedure, so interference with my pd meds wont be a factor. If offered, should i opt for a more general anesthesia ( such as sodium pentathal) vs. local ( novacaine) to reduce stress ( i have always had a fear of dental pain)?

doctor,

the extraction is set for next week. It may be a difficult extraction ( the root of the tooth may be fractured) and I have a great fear of dental pain ( my anxiety level is already rising). The plan is to use only novacaine as anesthetic. Would it be unwise of me to take .5 mg clonazepam about 1 hour before the procedure for risk of falling?

It is not a bad idea, but you will need clearance from your own doctor, and as you alluded to--- watch out for falls, confusion, fractures, etc.