helplinedonate
csullivan11

Pregnant with parkinson plus syndrome....anyone else????

I love Latin!

To ad hominem, we can add:

ad hominemtu quoque and a dicto simpliciter.

Aeqo animo,

OWV

Nicely said, OMV!

Take care,

Sean

• Like 1

csullivan11 -- I wanted to say, Congratulations to you!

And to everyone else who is a parent or grandparent or hoping to be one -- As Kim mentioned, all families have struggles; these challenges makes the love we share just that much sweeter.

Another update.. my daughter continues to amaze me. She is a very healthy 3 1/2 month old. She surprises all of us with her strength and determination. She is very active...rolling over, inquisitive, holding toys and quite opinionated! My symptoms I developed during pregnancy have not improved. It appears they are permanent. As she gains weight I worry about safely picking her up. I have adapted a halo swaddle blanket with a sling type strap to give me peace of mind when lifting her. I can manipulate it with one hand. My left side continues to lose movement and my left arm/hand is progressively weaker. I still am able through creative techniques to provide any and all the care my daughter needs...yes I ask for help when I need it. I did the same with my older children prior to this disease. I will never regret the birth of my daughter. Everytime she smiles at me it melts my heart. I pray everyday I get to see this beautiful baby girl grow up. My children are what keeps me strong and fighting. bless u all.

• Like 3

I know this is an old post to reply to but I was moved when reading the differences of opinions about this matter, I only have been diagnosed for a little over two months now, but I have an amazing family friend who is more like a sister and love her and her husband dearly, she has sever diabetes and one kidney and lots of health issues, but is so full of life many don't see the disease, they see her love for her family, to make this story short, heres the bottom line, they had decided to not have children of their own, due to the fact of her health, and they just recently adopted the most precious little ones, brother and sister who were going to be split up, many may have thought that they should have left well enough alone, and as has been mentioned above, but they have so much to offer these children, and we don't know when the Lord will say come home, so for me now knowing that I have Parkinson's I would really consider the risk of the children and myself, before going through a pregnancy, but I would truly do the adoption plan, and I say congrats to csullivin11 we cant let our disabilities run our lives, we need to do our best to run our lives! but also accidents happen, or oops if that's what you want to call them but I say God is the one who gives children to us, so Bless all of you that want children and those of you that are trying really think it through, and do your homework to see if there is any damage that could come to the child later in life, but there is no guarantee one way or another, because another thought is when a child is born and has two healthy parents they can be born with heart problem, cancers, etc. so it is a personal choice, and if you have peace with it then its your choice, NO ONE CAN TELL YOU WHAT IS RIGHT OR WRONG FOR YOUR LIFE, Bless you all in making life's tough choices, but remember every child is a blessing and needs us as adults to be there and love and nurture them into adults. Congrats again. bet baby is running around now the fun has begun.

• Like 1

Csullivan wrote the most beautiful post...full of love and life and hope...inspiring us all....Children are indeed the most precious gift we can receive...Truth is that parenting with disability is an enormous challenge. But in the end, all that matters is how much you want it. If you truly want to have a child nothing in the world can stop you. Not even Parkinson's.

I was reminded when I had my children I was clueless to even what Parkinson's was let alone the thought I would have it, also the fact that I come from a ver dysfunctional family myself being in foster homes from age 6mo to 5yrs. then put with my bio father abuse from other family members etc. but this is not a poor me story this is just to say, would I had my children when I did knowing that I had pd. I said before I have three wonderful children as of now healthy one has curvature of the spine and now showing signs of twitching and shaking she just graduated high school, one has hypoglycemia and my son well so far adhd, We have amazing insurance and they are well rounded to live in society to love others as they want to be loved, so as was mentioned no one can tell you weather or not to have children, again just do you homework, weigh all risks and make an intelligent decision, but as my father use to say, do what your heart tells you, because you are the one that has to live with you decisions. I am happy that the baby came out beautiful happy and healthy. once again it shows we are not in control God is....

On different note, I wanna thank everyone for allowing everyone to have their own opinions without judgments on them because i feel as though in the world outside of here our opinions are looked as not correct or dumb. Sorry for the mushies today, I am in a very Thankful spot in life due to you all, and knowing there is a community of ppl we can share our ups and downs without being judged. Bless you all and may all you have an amazing weekend.

Brad:

Please, don't attack someone for expressing an opinion.

I don't visit this site to see people hurl insults at each other.

If you want to debate that opinion that's fine but attacking people just stifles the conversation.

I don't know about anyone else but I often don't contribute my opinion out of fear (avoidance actually) of just such an attack.

To me, the very notion of trying to have a baby with knowledge one has Parkinsons Disease, let alone PD-plus, let alone a second and third child strikes me as selfish and irresponsible...in a word, absurd. There...I've said what an awful lot of cowed contributors and parents must be thinking. Somebody had to step up and knock your silly rose colored glasses off or try to.

Somebody had to step up indeed and speak up. I'm glad it was Brad. Roger did not just "knock" the "silly rose colored glasses" of the mother of a newborn baby-a mother with Parkinson's ! (didn't THAT bother you Ken?). He "knocked" for good (or should i say insulted) the feelings of many members of this forum who struggle with the enormous challenges of parenthood. Any "opinion" coming from Roger, me, or anyone who has never been a parent himself, who doesn't have the slightest clue about parenting, should be expressed-at the very least- with modesty and respect.

• Like 1

Bah Humbug x two. More later, perhaps or perhaps not - I've got better things to do this lovely afternoon than knock the stuffing out of your specious strawmen. Keep smiling...:-).

Edited by Rogerstar1

Christie:

I don’t have any children and most probably never will; so from that perspective, I’m wholly unqualified to render an opinion on who should or should not have children. Having said that: Did Roger’s comments on April 1st bother me? I thought they were brash but with a good measure of truth. Because I approach the topic of children unqualified and with a neutral perspective, I found his comments as valid and truthful as some of the Pollyanna and sugar coated comments made by others. After his comments of April 1st, several people issued him a thorough tongue lashing; because I am unqualified my input (At That Time) would have been out of school. I didn’t feel he was making a personal attack on any individual; and even if he was, he was issued his lecture, get over it, and move on. However, the comments hurled at Roger on 18 June were a direct personal attack; I am qualified to comment on that. I don’t know if I’ve successfully defended myself against the accusation of hypocrisy but that in a nut shell is why I called Brad out and not Roger.

I understand and appreciate that many of the people on this site are much more accomplished (In life, Education, and Achievements) than I am, that’s why I come here, to gain knowledge, insight, and to hear opinions on issues of life with Parkinson’s not to watch people take mean spirited jabs at each other.

• Like 1

i was diagnosed with PD about 1 1/2 years ago and I am taking Sinemet and Mirapex to help with my symptoms....I just found out that I am pregnant and I am very worried about taking my meds. during the pregnancy. My husband read all of the research and he is dead set that I stop taking my meds. I'm not sure if it would be more harmful not to take them...........anyone have an opinion???

Tveraldo welcome and congatulations !!

First, do not panic. Second you should consult your neurologist and your obstetrician. Your husband's feelings on this issue are understandable, but this is not exactly HIS decision to make. Unless you husband is an experienced neurologist, he is in no way qualified to offer you a reliable opinion based on some internet reading....

There is not much available data on pregnancy in women with PD...Plus there is no such thing as a 100% safe drug for use during pregnancy....There is always some risk, no matter what drug you take. Most neurologists-and especially those neurologists who have treated several pregnant women with PD-would tell you that levodopa monotherapy is the "gold standard" treatment during pregnancy, and is generally considered a relatively safe option. So you might have to slooooooooooowly wean off Mirapex, IF your obstetrician and your neurologist agree on this.

Good luck, i hope you will enjoy this wonderful time of your life...Keep us posted !

Thank you so much for the input. Since it is the weekend I have to wait til Monday to call the doctor. It is scary when you read all the stuff on the internet. I will def take your advice to heart. I am glad to have somewhere to express my concerns. Than again and I will def post after I talk to my Dr.