helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
fieldeds

Mirapex--Availability of Teva Brand Generic ?

I have been taking the Teva brand generic for Mirapex since fall, 2011, along with sinement and azilect. In December, 2012, my dose of Mirapex was raised from 0.75 mg 3x per day to 1 mg 3x per day. At the same time, my Rite-Aide pharmacy changed the generic from Teva to another brand. Checking on the Teva web site, I could not find Mirapex (pramipexole). I emailed Teva and asked about the availabilty of their brand of Mirapex. Their response was that they ceased manufacturing it in August, 2012. My pharmacist and I agree that it is preferable to continue with the same generic brand if it is working well. Do you have any information regarding the possibility that Teva may have licensed or sold the rights to manufacture this drug to another company?

I did some serious research on this one. Since it was past hours, I could not phone Teva myself , but I did find the same issue you did. When you pull up the Teva site and try to find it, it is no were to be found. This could be due to a few things. 1- it is made by Teva but distributed by someone else. I did see that when I looked up Teva NDC (national drug code)- which is unique for every single medication made, i found it interesting it was distributed by ANDA Pharmaceuticals.

First, your best bet is to have your pharmacy (which you said was Rite Aid- with whom I worked for), get the NDC of the TEVA brand you have taken. Then have them call McKesson Drug Company (which is a secondary wholesaler) and ask if they have that in stock. If yes-then they can order it for you.**a little insight, pharmacies don't like to order from the secondary wholesaler because it costs more money, because now the pharmacy chain warehouse only carries a brand made by a different company**. If the pharmacist is told "no" it is not in stock, the secondary wholesaler can tell them why(ie. Discontinued, supply can not equal demand, , etc.... Plus the secondary wholesaler can also give a potential release date.

Another thing Rite Aid can do is what they call a store look-up. This is where they can look-up what Rite Aid stores in the surrounding area may have the Teva brand you need and it will also tell them how many the store has on hand.

And an FYI, I looked under the Government shortage and not available list, and generic Mirapex was not there.

Hope I helped and keep me posted .

Edited by MComes RPH

Mark,

Do you have another link?  This one comes up with nothing.   My mom's insurance was switched over this year and they do not cover name brand Mirapex anymore so I will give the generics a try.  I want to know which works better for people in your opinon?

Thank you.

Thanks Mark.  I see it now but I don't know what's what.  Do you have a recommendation of which brand is most like the name brand.  You know how some name brand companies would make their own generics which turns out to be the real deal but sold way cheaper.

Sandoz, Teva and Mylan companies are pr I baby the ones most drug stores will carry. Both of them are A rated generics, which are the highest rating a generic can get.

Hope this helps

All of them are A rated generics, Teva, Mylan, and Sandoz.

Hope this caries things, sorry for the confusion.

Your best bet is to call some of the localnpharmacies in you're area and ask:

1- do you carry it

2- if they don't carry it, can they oriders it for you.

With so many ddrug stores now, it is hard to tell who carries what. If I were you, I would start off big (Walmart, Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS), because I know that one, if not all, have access to obtaining any of those brands.

Hope this helps, keep me posted.

Ok.  My mom's local pharmacy carries only Glenmark which is the one I don't like.  I then called CVS and they have the same one.  My understanding was that they only give what the wholesalers offer unless that's not true with chain drugstores.  It would be nice if they will go that extra mile for me and get the brand I want.  Thanks.

Most, if not all, major stores have a secondary wholesaler just for this reason.

You may want to try the others , deepending on where you live.

Good luck.