helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
DaveN

Dry Skin

10 posts in this topic

I've first read about PD causing dry skin a couple of months ago while researching PD. Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do to combat it?

Dave

To expand from my initial comment, I've developed terrible dandruff over the last 6 months. I also have very bad eczema on my feet and ankles that started back in December. It has been a particularly dry winter here in VA.

I've read on multiple sites that PD can cause dry or oily skin. Which is it? Or is it like reporting a side effect for a prescription drug, if one person reports it, it becomes a symptom?

See this link http://www.pdf.org/en/skin_changes_parkinson for what I'm talking about.

Dave

Edited by Tired

Dave - I've not experienced either difficulty yet, knock on wood. I hope that yours can be improved and that when a treatment that works is identified you'll post it. best regards from Roger

Interesting topic...I have tremor in left arm and also have dry skin on left side of face and neck only...use extra moisturizer for those areas.

Patricia

Interesting. I've had dandruff since I was 15 so I can't really say that's pd related. Since I live in Hawaii, my skin doesn't dry out much because of the tropical weather. I can say when I go back to VA in the winter I do dry out pretty quick but I just attributed that to the environmental change.

I take fish oil regularly and it seems to help. I know it improves my dogs' hair and skin. Also use lotion on my hands in fall and winter.

I have both oily skin and dry patches. It makes no sense. My ears, eyebrows and mustache area's are the worst for flaky skin. I have tried lotions and oils, special soaps yada yada..... It seems to be worst in the winter months.

I have used honeyglycerine soap(for flakey skin) you can find it more in the health and beauty section at drug stores or Wal-Mart. I also use caress (pink one) then add Aveeno lotion, it seems to help,(for now!!)(they also have different types, exp. I get the purple bottle it is to help relax the skin, and this really helps with some of the muscle aches I go through.) hope this will help you. As for shampoo's Aveeno seems to be good also, (its pricey, but worth it) I recently tried another brand of shampoo and conditioner because of the cost, and it's not worth it) so goin back to Aveeno. Bless you

Edited by sarahjo

also have you tried baby shampoo, I just remembered my good friend has dandruff in her eye brows and hair etc. and she was told by a dr. to use baby shampoo, any kind will work.