helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Kristakj78

Requip vs Mirapex

So, I know they are both dopamine agonists, but has anyone seen a difference between the two? I get real bad nausea with the Mirapex (.5 three times a day), so they are going to try me on an extended release Requip (hope it works).

I had bad side effects from Mirapex. Switched to Requip ER (in addition to Sinemet). Started 2mg and increased by 2 after a week. Right now I'm up to 8mg before bed

Sadly, Krista, I was wiped out and nauseated on both - to such an extreme that I was forced to come off them. I did give it a good try though (about eleven months). The wonderful thing about the human body, I have found, is that we are none of us the same! What one body can tolerate with ease, another cannot tolerate at all, and so on, along a very wide ranging spectrum. So, I say, keep an open mind and if your doc thinks you should try it, well, why not!

Good Luck dear,

Kim

Sadly, Krista, I was wiped out and nauseated on both - to such an extreme that I was forced to come off them. I did give it a good try though (about eleven months). The wonderful thing about the human body, I have found, is that we are none of us the same! What one body can tolerate with ease, another cannot tolerate at all, and so on, along a very wide ranging spectrum. So, I say, keep an open mind and if your doc thinks you should try it, well, why not!

Good Luck dear,

Kim

Kim...seems you and I have share the same PD constitution. Mirapex, Stalevo, and Requip all turned me into a nauseated and profusely sweating zombie! My switch to Sinemet, Amantadine, Comtan, and Azilect has been a great choice for me. Rarely do I experience any side-effects from these drugs and, when I do, I can always trace taking the meds on an empty stomach and then now having something to eat after taking my dosage.

Hope you find a combo that works well for you.

Take care,

Sean

• Like 1

I'm still on the Requip ER 8mg before bed and so far, so good. Today I increase the dosage by 2 mg again for a week. The goal is to get longer than 2.5 hours from my sinemet doses during the day. I've not changed the Sinemet timing yet because I have a lot of stresses right now.......daughter just had her first chemo treatment, andihada oolonoscopy.

• Like 1

So I was taken off agonists completely (I guess I've gained wayyyyyyyyy too much weight in a short amount of time), plus they give me nausea. I am only taking Sinemet 4x a day, Azelict 1x a day and Baclofen at night to sleep. We'll see...hopefully I lose some of the weight now! I've been walking much more, so that should help. I try to walk to the creek to fish, to the grocery store and the post office....a year ago I couldn't, but I'm learning how to time my meds.