helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Kristakj78

Requip Side Effects ...I'm so sick!

So I switched from Mirapex to Requip, and I am sooooooo sick. I took an 8mg extended release Requip pill @ midnight last night, and I am so sick! I even threw up like the exorcist. I am so sick of these agonists (in MY case, they have been nothing but a mess for me). I was doing so well for the past week titrating off Mirapex, and taking it in lower doses. Now I am a mess again. I think I'm sticking with the Sinemet alone or the Sinemet and the Azelict now.....no more Neupro, Mirapex or Requip for me! UGHHHHHH!

When I was a sleep walking Zombie on Requip, it gave me some upset tummy Kris. I quit it for levocarb (canadian sinemet) mostly because I was falling asleep when I shouldn't of been (like mid conversation with my wife) but still take 2 mg a day of requip at night for the foot twitches.

Good luck K.

Mirapex was good for a year, but the side effect were bad,

now i do a 4mg 24 hr neuropatch and sinemet 25/100 1.5 pills every 4 hrs.

so far its better.

Ugh. Soooo sick. Can't move. Movement makes it worse. It is driving me crazy. I have so much to get done. Called my neuro. NO WAY I am ever taking this again. Anyone know how long the Requip extended release takes to get out of your system (I only took the one pill last night at midnight). ???

Edited by Kristakj78

Sorry to hear about this. I started on Requip XL last November, and felt nauseous on the first 2mg titration dose! As I ramped up the dose (eventually topping out at 10mg/day), the nausea subsided. But the med definitely made me feel drugged and mentally fuzzy. I've recently switched to Neupro, which seems to have less of a "druggy" quality--at least for me.

Best of luck to you.

I don't understand why my neuro would have me start at 8 mg, and an extended release none the less. I even called her office to make sure it was ok before I took it, and unless the assistant or receptionists messed up, they said it was fine (my neuro is so busy, it is so hard to get in touch with her personally); I always end up talking to someone else over there. There is a serious demand for MDS's, and I personally don't feel that ea neuro can give their full attention properly to ea case. Just frustrating...God knows what gets lost in translation too. It is like playing telephone when we were kids.

It's almost amazing. (from a negative point of view!). EVERY neurologist knows that the main side effect of dopamine agonists is nausea and vomiting. and that this side effect is 100% preventable:

-With coadministration of domperidone, a dopamine antagonist, which does not cross the blood-brain barrier, does not affect our Parkinson's symptoms and practically eliminates levodopa and DA-induced nausea (domperidone is available through Canada, and is a relatively safe drug-with the exception of patients with cardiac arrhythmias- when the dose is <30-40mg per day and when used for relatively short periods).

-With slow titration of dosage. Nausea usually subsides in a few weeks when the patient gets used to the drug/dosage

Most neurologists fail to inform their patients on potential side effects of PD drugs.. including not only nausea but also impulse control disorders or hallucinations. Often with detrimental consequences.

Why should any patient suffer for nothing? It beats me !

Edited by christie
  • Like 3

I am on 8 mg requip XL. I started and 2 mg and worked my way up to 8. That was bad enough. Hope you didn't start at 8! I was throwing up, had terrible mood swings and would get extremely tired at the drop of a hat. I almost quit it but it got better. I still have some bad days with it but it helps a lot with the cramping.

One thing I have noticed is I get compulsive at times. No one thing though. Sometimes I must clean the entire house from top to bottom ( my wife does not mind this unless its at 0200 hrs.) or sometimes it's organizing my fishing/ hunting stuff. Whatever it is I am into for several hours. Luckily my wife keeps a good eye on me and reminds me of the time because I can get lost in whatever I am doing.

I still get mood swings that I think is from requip. Am trying meditation and other things for it. I am afraid to go to straight sinemet because I don't wanna "use it up" because sinemet works really good for me with little side effects.

I hope if you keep taking requip it gets better if you don't, I don't blame you. Been there!

P.S. I am not even close to being a neurologist but I can't understand why you were started off at 8. My MDS in Mechanicsburg specifically told me she wanted me to start low and work my way up.

Edited by Brad24
  • Like 1

Christie you are so right, and Brad, I have NO idea either! I was on .50 mg of Mirapex 3x a day (from 1 mg 3x a day), cause it was making me have nausea...but at least no vomiting like the exorcist like yesterday with the 8 mg of Requip! I was surprised that she started me on the 8 mg too since I titrated up on EVERY other medicine I started. That is why I called to second guess it. I was told, it was "ok," and so I took the 8 mg. I figured that since I double checked, it was ok, and that maybe it was "ok" and "approved" to take the 8 mg since my body was already so used to the strong titrated doses of Mirapex (which I was told to stop right away, and resume right away with the Requip)....I thought, hey, maybe they are just having me switch one agonist with another, and I do not need to titrate up on the new one since I am told to stop the old one. I did find it weird though, like I said, I titrated slowly on EVERY other med I've received. I am no longer on the Requip anymore. I literally took that one pill, and stopped. It was HORRIBLE!!!! Like my body was poisoned! I am now on my regular 25/100 Sinemet 3x a day, a smaller dose of Mirapex .25 3x a day, the Azilect 1x a day, and the Balofen at night for sleep (ugh). Hey, we all live and learn...any maybe in this case my Dr's and their assistants did too. I just don't get it.

I hate to sound like a right downer and make your suffering seem like I'm focusing only on me... BUT, boy was I ever sick on Requip AND Mirapex! Three times a day for eleven months solid before I finally gave up on the Requip and I managed just a few weeks of Mirapex... Well, frankly, I only gave up then because of all the other side effects. Loss of striated muscle control (in the boudoir--I'm sure you get my gist!), passing out right, left, and center, sudden drops in blood pressure, and the coup de grace: Loss of bladder control. That ripped it, I can tell you!

When I was a sleep walking Zombie on Requip, it gave me some upset tummy Kris. I quit it for levocarb (canadian sinemet) mostly because I was falling asleep when I shouldn't of been (like mid conversation with my wife) but still take 2 mg a day of requip at night for the foot twitches.

Good luck K.

Yup, I too fell asleep at the worst possible moments... reading to a class of 1st graders for instance and, once, (shortly before I finally stopped taking it), I passed out in my car! Thank heaven I had just pulled in and had the presence of mind to turn off the engine before thinking, "I'm so tired, I'll just sit here for a minute." My husband found me three hours later, still sound asleep in the garage!

It's amazing how our individual responses to PD and the drugs used to treat it differ so much, but I guess that's what makes us the lovely, unique human beings we are. Our doctors are all different, too, and mine, at the time, was bloody awful! Every time I saw him, he'd ask me if the nausea was the same or any better and, when I'd tell him it was maybe a little better (sometimes, being an optimist doesn't pay), he'd say, "well, what do you want to do, stay on it or try the Sinemet--you're awfully young to be on THAT drug though." He scared me so much, I stuck with it long, long past the point that I should have.

I am now at the point that I will not have a doctor that refuses to return a phone call or take my concerns as seriously as I do. (In fact, I once told a doctor that I do not think he is God and that, besides that, I have food in my refrigerator that is older than he is, so he needn't run away with the idea that I do not know just exactly who this body belongs to--ME!!) I get that it is not always feasible to just switch doctors, due to location, finances, and all manner of obstacles, but if you can and you feel ignored--FIRE YOUR DOCTOR!!!

It's hard enough having a disease like this without feeling like you're flapping out there in the breeze with no help from the doctor who is supposed to,"First, do no harm!!"

Good luck sweetie,

Kim

• Like 3

Kim, I TOTALLY relate! I was driving my son to his well child appointment, and it was a slap in the face as to how strong these agonists are (and that was on a lower dose of Mirapex)! Thankfully we were fine, and I got there and back, but boy, did that make me take the "warnings" seriously!!! So, when I had the bad reaction on the Requip the other day, I knew I should just wait it out on the couch (which I did for 24 hours)! Drove me nuts, but we know our bodies and our tolerances more than these Dr's do, and since we all react different to meds, it is important for all of us to listen to our bodies, not just our neuros!

• Like 2

we know our bodies and our tolerances more than these Dr's do, and since we all react different to meds, it is important for all of us to listen to our bodies, not just our neuros!

Exactly ! Couldn't agree more! And because it's impossible to know HOW we will react to any new med, we should always start low and go slow...as slow as we want ! The stress of PD is more than enough for our body to handle.... Who needs the "cherry" of drastic med changes and nasty side effects on the PD cake?

When side effects are bad, this is our body telling us "i don't like this drug", and we should listen to it. Our brain is a vengeful organ. Never forgives, never forgets!

Our PD is not going anywhere anytime soon-sorry to say this, but it looks like we are all stuck with this beast for good-so what's the point in hurry?

• Like 2

I'm started on requip ER at 2 mg and take before bed. So far, so good. I can increase by 2 mg weekly if necessary. Doctor said take before bed minimizes side effects.

If you decide to try a new MDS, see Amy Colcher at Cooper. I feel better just having her back as mine. Hey I got an idea......we can time our appts and carpool! Lol......hope you have a good day. I'm babysitting my 3 year old grandson this afternoon. Can't wait :)

If you decide to try a new MDS, see Amy Colcher at Cooper. I feel better just having her back as mine. Hey I got an idea......we can time our appts and carpool! Lol......hope you have a good day. I'm babysitting my 3 year old grandson this afternoon. Can't wait :)

...Jenette, I may just do that. I've switched twice now though. One Dr. in Bethlehem was just a neuro, and not an MDS (and he refused to put me on Sinemet). Then I went to a Philly Dr (and she gave me the Sinemet without question). She was too far though, so then my PT suggested the current MDS I use, (but I kinda lost faith after the Requip poisoning)...sigh. I loved her and her suggestions until that last experience. I don't know if I will switch or not again. I currently see her every 3 months now. Does your MDS have a wait? She is in P'burg, NJ, right? Good luck w your grandson. I totally relate. My kids are 4, 6 and 14....all boys! Edited by Kristakj78

I've been taking Requip at night (2mg xr) to minimize the side affects (drowsiness and nausea, flushed feeling) but it wears off by mid-day the next day.  It really helps me with my gait and balance so I would like to continue if possible...Side affects are hard to take though.