helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
healthgeenie

The Genes of Alzhemeir's Disease

I found the information very interesting in a 'nun study treatment' research says that if a person has the chance to undergo a genetic test much better. It is the TOMM40 tests and ApoE4 tests that have to be completed. For people who have ApoE4, it means they have great chances of a 50% of contracting the Alzheimer's disease. But for those who have both genes- which are the ApoE4 gene and TOMM40, then most likely, there is 85-90% of chance for these people to l contract Alzheimer's, as what has been said and showed in the most recent scientific studies.

Have you had your DNA tested via 23 and Me? Unfortunately the "free" DNA testing piece for Parkinson's patients is no longer being offered but for $99 the test can be done for whomever wants the information. The APOE gene is part of the testing process and according to their website the normal population has a 7% incidence of Alzheimer's and the APOE4 gene variant population has a double or 14% incidence of Alzheimer's. The site goes on to caution that many people with Alzheimer's don't have the APOE 4 gene and vice verse-those with the APOE4 gene may never get Alzheimer's. Haven't heard of the TOMM4 gene but then I'm just a layperson, with no scientific background. 23 and Me mentioned the TOMM4 gene but said they don't test for it.