helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
DaveN

Dinette Table

20 posts in this topic

My wife and I are building a new "1 level living" house. We're going to be in the market to purchase a new Kitchen Dinette set. It seems the new fad is these comfort height tables. Does anyone have one of these? Is there any benefit to them or just a fad as I already stated?

Dave

Like Luther, Can't help much as I never bought a table, I tend to make my own stuff. I am Curious what is a "comfort height table" is it adjustable?

I just Bing comfort height table and don't see any real difference from a standard table unless you're talking about a bar height table...best suggest go look at it ...try out the heeight and comfort of the chairs. The other thing to take in mind is your height....I'm 5' and some tables and chairs are uncomfortable for me. Try before you buy!

Patricia

It's a counter height table. The table and chairs are all higher off the ground. I was just wondering if this type of table is problematic or beneficial in the advanced stages of PD.

Well I'll throw this other thought out and since I'm always planning for the future...what if you got this counter high table and say you need to use a wheelchair...how do you adjust?

1 person likes this

Thank you Island Woman. That's the kind of foresight I was hoping to get. My poor brain doesn't think through problems very well anymore. I just spent the last two days in an email chain completely missing the point of a request from a co-worker. I guess I'm not the smartest bear in the room anymore. Who's going to tell my kids? :)

Dave

I have one of the comfort height tables in my breakfast nook. Cant say it is any more user friendly than a regular table. Maybe a little easier to get into one of the chairs when I am having an "unbalanced day" . Donald - you make your own furniture? That is a little more than I think either me or DH is ready to attempt.

It's very difficult to scoot Your chair closer to the table once you sit down at a bar height table because your feet don't reach the floor. You kind of have to wiggle in and hope your close enough.

Donald - you make your own furniture? That is a little more than I think either me or DH is ready to attempt.

For now, yes, I make most of my own furniture, until PD desides to take that away.

Hi Dave..............I have a fantastic solid oak Queen Anne style dining table with 4 chairs and 2 carver chairs that we no longer use. You can have them if you like! But.............you'll have to come 4000 miles to get them!

You have the Queens dining table. You better give it back now that they have another mouth to feed. We just sold her writing desk last night.

Edited by DaveN

Hey - maybe I could use a short vaca. Shipping isnt such an issue for me, I just have to find what band is playing where in England and I can "add" to their Carnay but the wait could be long depending when they are scheduled to complete Europeran tour and return to tthe states,

I like this, maybe we need to start a thread with things we would be willing to trade, swap, sell, etc. What does everyone think?

I just moved in to an affordable living senior/disabled apartment complex. It offers many amenities for residents, including a large computer room. All the counters were bar height with 29" swivel bar stools on wheels. 100% of the residents are either 61 or older (my favorite neighbor is 91), or 55+ and disabled. I offered to teach basic classes, but pointed out that I couldn't climb up safely on rolling stools where the seat moves! I've fallen too many times and am not willing to do so again. So out of 12 stations, they have made one regular height. What are they thinking, offering one safe seating terminal for 250 residents?

One other thought. There are many backless comfort height stools without backs. For this Parkie, a straight backed chair is a must. If you have any difficulty rising from a chair, the flatter and more stable, the better!

I just moved in to an affordable living senior/disabled apartment complex. It offers many amenities for residents, including a large computer room. All the counters were bar height with 29" swivel bar stools on wheels. 100% of the residents are either 61 or older (my favorite neighbor is 91), or 55+ and disabled. I offered to teach basic classes, but pointed out that I couldn't climb up safely on rolling stools where the seat moves! I've fallen too many times and am not willing to do so again. So out of 12 stations, they have made one regular height. What are they thinking, offering one safe seating terminal for 250 residents?

One other thought. There are many backless comfort height stools without backs. For this Parkie, a straight backed chair is a must. If you have any difficulty rising from a chair, the flatter and more stable, the better!

Everyone at work wonders why I sit on an office chair as hard as a rock. You hit the nail on the head. Hard, straight backed chairs are much easier to get out of.

I personally find those higher tables a horrible thing not comfortable at all and certainly not for a wheelchair user. That would be the last thing I would consider for accessible living.