helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
LUTHERSFAITH

M J Fox - PD and humor

Thanks Luther for posting the date of the show...hope it flys to the top of the rating scale.  Watch interesting movie....Love & Other Drugs....he's a drug rep. and she has PD.

Thanks Luther for posting the date of the show...hope it flys to the top of the rating scale. Watch interesting movie....Love & Other Drugs....he's a drug rep. and she has PD.

Love that movie. Anne Hathaway is an all around good actor

Love that movie. Anne Hathaway is an all around good actor

That's not the only good thing about Anne Hathaway as seen in the movie... :wink:

Just kidding. It is an all around good movie.

Everyone remember tonite is the big premier of The Michael J Fox Show.

Although I am looking forward to it, I have a thought, people keep telling me how great it is that he, MJF, is still able to act, He's playing a guy with PD, I could do that. I would be more impressed if he played a guy that didn't have PD. :P

Edited by Donald Ennis
  • Like 3

I guess they, the networks haven't figured out people will just record if they want to see both.

I record anyways.... hate commercials

Watching MJF... my hubby says is he really like that or playing it up for the show.... how r u guys liking the show???

They were playing for too many laughs, I hate that about new shows.  It might get better over time.  I didn't understand why his real life wife is his upstairs neighbor, that was confusing.

Dav

Edited by Daven

I liked it. A neurologist told me he is over medicated but overall I watched it and it made me laugh which is what I was looking for. I may try the roll throw at Thanksgiving with the brother inlaw it don't like!

Edited by Brad24
  • Like 1

I found it really disjointed.  I never laughed, not even a smile - just watched, trying to find something of value but it wasn't there for me.  I do admire MJF as a person and an actor but I think the writers and creators haven't utilized his talents well.  Not sure that I can continue to watch in hopes that it improves.

• Like 1

I'm sure we were watching it with Parkie eyes and it was a little too flippant for me. But it is a comedy that has to appeal to more than our demographic. I think the world of MJF and he is very brave for doing this new show. I told my husband that we didn't see between the shots when the exhaustion set in.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could edit life. Fast forward thru the down times. Slow the on periods down. Anyway, I also hope the show gets better. Maybe a drama with some comedy would make more sense than a light airy comedy.

• Like 1

I guess I went about watching it all wrong because I...

1. Didn't expect MJF to represent MY experience with PD

2. Didn't expect the show to be an educational video about PD

3. Didn't expect the show to be about nothing BUT PD.

It's a mainstream network comedy about a character that has PD. That's enough of a breakthrough for me. It also presents the viewpoint that it's ok to laugh at the disease and what it does to us, which appeals to me.

I did think it was trying too hard, but that often happens with new comedies so I'm giving it a few weeks to see if it finds and hits its stride. If not, I'll still be glad it aired, because it showed PD as a disease people can and do live with.

Just my two cents.

• Like 3

Vanilla, I think you approached it the way one should. I definitely agree he was trying too hard. I got the impression they were getting paid by the word - Michael was talking way too fast! I too will give it a couple of weeks before passing final judgment.

• Like 1

My two cents agree with Vanilla & She-ra:

First off it is network TV, they cator to millions of people not just people who have something in common with one actor or character. M.J. Fox is a brave man and the fact he got his own show and has his main character inflicted with PD is ground breaking. No he is not a typical PWP and it sux that I feel people expect me to look/ act like him to believe that I have PD. I think the show is targeting this larger more ignorant audience, and have faith that once it has that demographic hooked, they will gradually increase the PD education as that is what M.J. Fox has been about for the last decade. I personally will give the show until half way through the season before making any rash decision to tune it out, as I want the show to suceed. I am only disapointed that it is too sexual for me to let me children watch with me, perhaps they chill out on the bedroom humor eventually too.

• Like 3