helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ljubica Lojan

Mucus

14 posts in this topic

My husband PD patient for 15 years started having mucus accumulation in his throat. This is especially bothersome at night. He does not have a cold.Is this PD related? Thank you for your reply.

This could be related.  We optimize dopaminergics, drink lots of water and get a speech and swallowing assessment with a swallow study.  Good luck.

Would you please tell me who is doing swallowing assessment? Is it the same person as for speech therapy? My husband is on Sinemet, Sinemet CR and Azilect.

His mucus is the worst at night. He can swallow the food. From where is the mucus coming?

Swallowing study can be done by the same person doing speech.  Sometimes re-dosing sinemet at night when a person with Parkinson's awakens helps.  Many people believe the mucus is from slowing or bradykinesia of the swallowing muscles.  Drinking lots of water, chewing gum and seeing a speech expert can be helpful.

It is all potentially part of the clinical symptoms associated with Parkinson's.  It is totally possible to be able to swallow food but also accumulate mucus.

Hi, I was diagnosed with PD last year and I've really had problems with mucus/plehm for a while now. It's usually worse at night and I don't know if my sinuses are the problem, or is it just another joy of having PD. My MDS said that excess saliva is common but it's more likely something that a ENT doctor should look at. However, I don't think that this is from the sinuses. It's like a lot of post nasal drip in the back of my throat and my PCP saw it and put me on antibiotics. I've been on high doses of antibiotics and it does nothing to help with the mucus. I do sometimes get sinus infections (a few times a year) and then the antibiotics. 

I'm wondering if this is common with my PD friends having this thick mucus draining problem - seemingly from the sinuses? It seems to have gotten worse since I was put on Sinemet. It's messing with my voice as well.

Sinemet 25/100 - 3 x daily for the last year.

Recently added Sinemet CR and Azilext at bedtime.

Prozac daily in morning

Yes this can definitely happen in Parkinson (mucus and post-nasal drip sensation).  Montelukast is a leukotriene inhibitor that is now generic and may be better than some of the sedating drugs like claritan.  Hope that helps. Also, sometimes a higher dose of Sinemet helps to clear more mucus and saliva.

1 person likes this

I am happy we can help in any way.  We also have a 1004PDINFO hotline and I am glad you will read the books!  Hope they help.

Please see the two below references on the use of an anticholinergic nasal spray for symptomatic relief.  It's worth discussing with your doctor as its seems to provide symptomatic relief in PWP.  Likely another symptom related to autonomic disregulation.  I hope it helps if you use it.

A prospective study: Clinical significance of anticholinergic nasal sprays in patients with Parkinson's disease afflicted by rhinorrhea

Anticholinergic Nasal Spray Eases Rhinorrhea in Parkinson's

So I have had mucas issues for years. Always after eating or while eating. Dr's could never figure out why. Diagnosed with PD in sept 2015. Now wonder if I have had PD far longer then I thought.