helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Hobey13

Pre-Motor Symptoms

I am aware that there are certain non-motor symptoms in PD that can occur prior to the motor symptoms occuring, including constipation, depression, fatigue, REM sleep disorder, and loss of smell. 

Are excess saliva/drooling and dry eyes/lack of blinking considered potential pre-motor symptoms of PD?  Or are those symptoms directly tied to the lack of dopamine that would occur after/concurrently with the onset of motor symptoms?

At the moment those symptoms are not considered pre-motor; however not all the pre-motor symptoms have been well-defined.

I seem to have unusual symptoms in that I have a 9 hz unilateral orthostatic tremor that I was diagnosed with earlier in the year. Shortly after that I had an extremely dry mouth that spontaneously flipped from me being dry several months ago to excessive saliva; I then had a dat scan that came back normal. Now a few months later I have dry eyes and feel like I am definitely blinking less, but no facial mask. I otherwise feel good (walking/running/athletics/no stiffness) and have been examined by my mds with no other symptoms of PD. I am set up soon to discuss the dry eyes/blinking with my doctor; any other thoughts on what it could be or to discuss with my mds?

Gosh tjis is a tough one.  With a negative DAT scan it is unlikely Parkinson's.  The dry mouth makes me think of Sjogren's syndrome which your primary care doctor can check a blood test for...