helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Beau's Mom

carbidopa/levodopa 25/100 CR or ER

A year ago a nurse in a hospital gave me 1/2 of a 50/200 carb/levo which was scored. She said if it was scored, it was safe to break it in half. Now I take 1/2 of a 25/100 carb/levo every morning which is not scored. Does that mean the timed-release element is no longer effective? I have noticed more head bobbing after the 1/2 pill than when I take the other three doses of one whole ER carb/levo during the day. Different pharmacists and nurses have told me different things about this. l I'm hoping you can clear it up once and for all. Thank you.

It has long been speculated that by breaking a CR pill in half you lose some but not all of the CR (extended release) properties.  

Do you allow your patients to do it or are they limited to the unscored versions of ER or CR by their insurance? If the insurance refuses to pay for proper dosing, can we appeal that?

Insurance does not mandate whether a patient splits their pill to my knowledge.  Even if not scored, a patient can split their pill.  I rarely ask a patient to split a CR, but it is possible.