helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
AMBEECHAM

Working out

29 posts in this topic

How do you keep fit,workout or just keep moving ?

we just moved states and it's time to get back on a fitness program. 

I love riding a bike,on the road or at home.

Myself i started to ride at least 15 miles a day 7 days a week and will step up 5 miles a day every few weeks.

This month i've clocked up 470 miles,when i can't sleep i add a few miles on the bike.

Interested to hear what everyone else does, a little or a lot it doesn't matter as long as we keep moving.

My husband was diagnosed with PD eight years ago. While I agree any exercise is good, what has really made a difference for him is PD-specific exercises like the "BIG" or "BIG and LOUD LVST" (he did BIG training) and PWR! Moves. His symptoms are usually noticeably reduced when he does those type of exercises. He also rides a bike, pole walks, hikes, etc. We are planning to convert one of our bedrooms into a mini-gym for him with a treadmill and recumbent stationary bike. He does a lot of balance and "agility" exercises. Right now, he has been sidelined a bit with a back problem and his PD symptoms are much worse. He is anxious to get back to his regular exercise routines.  Next year, he will go for his third "retreat" offered by the Parkinson Wellness Recovery (PWR!) non-profit organization. Find out more about the "exercise as medicine" philosophy at http://www.pwr4life.org/. You can look for clinicians trained in your area through one of the tabs on the website. Look for "Find a PWR! Expert" at the top of the page. 

I noticed I feel better when I get more exercise . So we bought a recumbent bike . I thought it would be easier to keep my balance on. Someone told me there are apps of different cities which you can pedal through. We have an extra room which we will use for exercise . It's on the side of the house so I can sit and watch traffic as I pedal. We may get a treadmill also. Just the fact that I feel better makes it worth while.

Hi--

I have found that exercise is so important in living with PD. For me, it's primarily paddling my surfski. I live in San Diego and paddle 4-5x per week, either on the bay or, if I'm feeling adventurous, in the surf. Surfski is great for exercise, balance, and simply moving. And there's nothing like the ocean for giving you a sense of perspective.

I also love cycling, but I am limited by exercise-induced dystonia in my left foot. Any kind of walking, running, or cycling can bring it on and cripple me.

Best of luck to you.

--Mark

Our son lives in Hawaii and is an avid paddle boarder. My husband is working on his balance exercises so he can paddle board when we go to Hawaii early next year.

I have benefitted from the exercise classes "Delay the Disease.  The classes are offered at a local Family Y.  I know you can get videos, too.  The program is Parkinsons specific and the exercises address balance, posture, coordination among others.  I recommend anyone who is looking for an exercise program to check it out.  Not only has it helped me physically, the participants end up supporting each other and being a community.  You can learn more here: http://delaythedisease.com/  

And no, I am not a paid spokesperson, just someone the program has helped.

1 person likes this

I also cycle a lot, both on my single and on a tandem with my wife.  The Brian Grant Foundation sponsors a boot camp class called Powering Forward, I do that twice a week.  I also do a yoga class and tai chi.  It all helps in different ways.  Mark, I envy you being in San Diego and being able to paddle in (relatively) warm water.  I'm in Portland; used to paddle marathon canoes and outrigger, but got burned out racing.  Tried surfski, but never got the hang of it, I guess I need training wheels.  Paddling is recommended for PD, for balance and core strength.  I miss it and need to make time for that, too.  I'm wondering if anyone else gets regular massage treatment?  I get both Shiatsu and Traeger work done regularly, and it helps loosen things up.

Il have to try paddling. I could keep a canoe or surfski down by my boat at the yacht club.Walking for me is bad becuse I have a bad subtailer joint when i broke my heel twenty years ago.The nordic trac ski machine is good becase the foot never leaves the ski and there is no side movement.I have sort of gotten lazy lately with exercise and it shows with reduced flexability and ridgity.

I recently had to give up swimming .. something happened to my shoulder and it became too painful.  I have switched to riding a recumbent stationary bike and have found it gets my heart rate up much higher.  I also do stretching and balancing exercises in a warm water pool.  I do all this 6 days a week.  I go in feeling sluggish and uninspired and leave feeling strong and determined.

VERY envious of those of you who have decent PD exercise programs that are challenging.

1 person likes this

Boxing is getting popular among us parkies. I am not new to boxing and martial arts ( in fact, I started karate in 1973 and try to keep up during the years). I recently upped my boxing. When I start out on the heavy bag I can barely hold my trembling left arm up and jabbing goes real slow. Aftera couple of 3 min rounds it gets better. After 1 hr in the gym I feel much better and the symptoms abate somewhat. I try to exercise (boxing, stretching, weights)for an hour on weekdays during lunchtime, and some yoga/meditation and qigong at night before bedtime. In the weekends, during the day I try to be as active as I can but most of it is doing stuff in and  around the house and shopping. Not much time for gym. I might try to go back to judo on Saturday morning tho. I cant walk as much I would like as I have some hip joint issues.

Well Ive stuck to my stretching everyday and my treadmill and nordic trac.The ski machine is great except I need a brace to keep my foot from sliding off the ski.Streching was recommended by my doctor to relive the late day stiffness and back pain.t really did help so try it.One thing I have read and felt personaly is PD has a tendency to lengthen recovery times for exercise.I did a hour on the treadmill half running and felt it the next day.So now I do aerobic exercise every other day and avoid the problem.

Thanks so much for everyones input here

john

Excrcise is a vry important part of treatment. I walk 45 min a day, I stretch daily too. Day 1, high intensity interval training, day 2, weights, day 3 karate and repeat. The more I move the better I feel.

I would like to try paddle boarding, as I spent 30 years of my life surfing. Even just paddling around on my surfboard would probably be great for me.

My husband worked really  hard on balance exercises so he could try paddle boarding when we went to visit our son in Hawaii last summer. He was successful! We are looking forward to our next visit. 

Have been running long distance, Half Marathons, one Marathon in the past. Our family tradition is to run a 10K in the spring in Green Bay WI. 

In trying to keep with tradition in 2015 I worked out, mostly treadmill and core body exercises and was successful in completing the 10K.

Currently I'm in the gym at least every other day. Mixing it up. Eliptical machine is a mechanical savior when dystonia strikes during workouts on a treadmill.

Starting to do some weight lifting. But very little. Seems important though. Just started doing some of the BIG stretching exercises on opposite days.

Personally I do better with a set schedule and have daily goals and hopefully a realistic long term goal.

How does anyone find the time to exercise? I leave for work at 6:30am and get home at 7pm long commute both ways. Get home eat and go to bed. To tired to even contemplate exercise.

When my husband was still working, his MDS told him if he had to chose between sleep and exercise to always choose sleep. He tried to exercise but, like you, worked long hours. It wasn't until after he stopped working that he was able to up his level of exercise. Others may have better ideas for making it work. 

I walk a mile twice a day on my break at work and try to ride an exercise bike or walk for at least 20 minutes after I get home. I usually throw in 20 to 40 push ups and sit ups and a little stretching. I need to get back to the gym, but with spring coming I will be working in the yard a lot.

How do you keep fit,workout or just keep moving ?

we just moved states and it's time to get back on a fitness program. 

I love riding a bike,on the road or at home.

Myself i started to ride at least 15 miles a day 7 days a week and will step up 5 miles a day every few weeks.

This month i've clocked up 470 miles,when i can't sleep i add a few miles on the bike.

Interested to hear what everyone else does, a little or a lot it doesn't matter as long as we keep moving.

My doctor suggested weight training because this frees up some mitochondria, which could wind up in the brain.

I walk/run on a treadmill about ten miles a week.  There is a huge difference between the days when I make it

to the gym for this routine and when I don.t 

Small snacks throughout the day frees up lunch time to get at least a 20 minute cardio workout. 

BIG exercises are on you tube. Whether stretching at work or prior to going to bed should be beneficial.

As Hope mentioned above…..there is no comparison of days with exercise vs days without. 

I do agree that when it really boils down to sleep vs exercise I choose sleep and try hard to get exercise the next day.

2 people like this