helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tommy

Penile Atrophy in Parkinson's men

4 posts in this topic

Dr. Okun,

This is my first post . 

I was diagnosed with PD in August 2008 and do fairly well with Sinemet three times daily -- at 10 a.m. 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.  I have not visited a neurologist in over a year. At present, my chiefproblem is a male problem - penile shrinkage which has been evident for quite some time.  I have entertained the option of a dorsal slit and still may have to go that route, but before I do, is there any non-surgical procedure available to help alleviate this problem?  Is it a common problem with PD men? I sincerely hope you can offer some encouraging news re: this situation.

Thanks very much.

Tommy West

Tommy this is not a problem we hear a lot about in Parkinson's disease, however it is known that testosterone levels are lower in men with Parkinson's disease perhaps due to degeneration in the hypothalamus and other brain regions.  One approach may be to see a neurologist, have a free testosterone level checked, get a prostate exam and discuss the risks and benefits of replacing tesosterone (which may or may not help you).

1 person likes this

Dr.  Okun,

Thanks very much for your quick response.  I will consider your recommendation. 

Warm regards,

Tommy West