helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
mike709

getting dressed and undressed

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have problems getting dressed or undressed I noticed it takes me forever to get dressed. I also have problems with buttons. I also have problems when turning in the shower.

The biggest problem I have getting dressed is my poor balance.  I have to sit down to put on socks and pants, or lean against the wall.

PatriotM I know the feeling I always catch myself getting ready to fall I have actually fell against the wall trying to put my pants on.

Gone are the days where I could put on my socks and shoes without sitting or leaning against something. I've been like that for a while now. Dressing overall is slower, but not horribly. My biggest hurdle is doing my hair, so I keep it short now.

i hear ya all. it funny til you are in a hurry then i get so frustrated, i have gone to wearing my hair straight, pony tails, every once in a while i think i am good and try and my mind says one thing and my hands are doing another. i am learning that when i read post that i realize the progression, other wise its just another day. Does this make sense? It is not good but refreshing to know that i am not crazy. i don't wish this on anyone.

1 person likes this

I have problems with my buttons, as well socks and pants I always have to be sitting down to put on other wise I am on the floor.. Shoes is some thing else. Has any one found slip on sneakers that look like tennis shoes with out Velcro.???

I used to wear button down shirts now it's polo or t-shirts all the time.

If I wear a button down I sew velcro behind button I sew button in place and put Velcro other side or I wear a larger size.  I usually do tee shirts and sweat shirts

Hey everyone,

I have a terrible time getting dressed some days...buttons are really hard. I can get them half way through the hole and then I freeze...buttons on the cuffs are the worst. My daughter likes doing those up for me! Also, getting sweaters on is a challenge as well as getting jackets or coats on. I have great difficulty swinging them around the back, so they always get caught up on my back! Trying to hurry or any kind of stress always makes the process much worse, so I try to plan well. Oh the joys of this thing they call PD...I'm just thankful to have a family that is always ready and willing to come to my rescue when I'm caught up in clothing and can't get out!!! Irony is, when the medication does its thing, I don't have a problem with any of this stuff...even after 12 years with this disease! It's a journey...every day...

Peace,

Mihai

Does anyone else have problems getting dressed or undressed I noticed it takes me forever to get dressed. I also have problems with buttons. I also have problems when turning in the shower.

Yep. I take baths now instead of showers. Much easier and seems to help with dystonia.

Forget button up shirts.

There are many dressing assistance items available through medical supply companies. I was told about these by an occupational therapist. There are zipper pulls, button hooks, velcro shoes (I use these as I can no longer tie my shoes), long handled shoe horns, even thingies that help you put your socks on. Getting an Occupational Therapy (OT) evaluation is not difficult. Any doctor can order one. I'm sure you could also Google it and find good ideas. Insurance is likely to cover some of the cost.

You guys should have to put on a setsuit everyday for work- it has become comical! Only thing funnier is trying to get it off :)  gotta laugh cause i don't have the strength after accomplishing it to cry :)

Annikin, thanks for sharing the humor. We will only cry if we don't find something to laugh about. Laughter is a great stress reliever!

I was going to ask what a "setsuit" is, but it just hit me...wetsuit!  The visual image made me chuckle! 

Thanks,

Mihai

Sorry, I meant wetsuit- the thing most noticeable with my PD is how bad my typing has become! But happy if it made you smile!