helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Positivepdguy

Azilect Effectiveness

Greetings. I have stopped taking Azilect after discussing its ineffectiveness with a top neurologist researcher. I tried the on/off periods with the drug and did not find any difference. I have also tried antagonists which gave me some bad side effects. Would like your advice on alternate solutions. Exercises do help.

There are quite a few other possibilities.

1- Cogentin- Anticholinergic antiparkinson agents

A drug may be classified by the chemical type of the active ingredient or by the way it is used to treat a particular condition. Each drug can be classified into one or more drug classes.

Anticholinergic antiparkinson agents or acetylcholine antagonists block the muscarinic acetylcholine receptors and cholinergic nerve activity. Activation of muscarinic receptors has an excitatory effect, opposite to that of dopaminergic activation, so suppression of the effects of acetylcholine compensates for a lack of dopamine in Parkinson

2-Sinemet (carbidopa/levodopa): helps add dopamine into the system with the levodopa. The carbidopa is mainly added to decrease the nausea that may come along with levodopa. The nice thing is it comes in a variety of regular release strengths and also comes in a few long acting strength.

3- there is also a product that adds entacapone with sinemet to help the sinemet work longer

4- amantadine: it is mainly used as an antiviral, but it is also used in PD to decrease tremors and some walking issues. How it actually works is really not known.

Here are a few alternatives that will at least give you something to talk to the Dr about.

Mark, what is your take on Azilect? I have been taking it for about 9 months and can't seem to notice any effects. I first had the expected joint aches, that went away, but then nothing. It is an expensive drug to use just because it MIGHT slow disease progression. 

I was going to say that I tried Azilect and the joint pain was so bad I could hardly move. My wife drove me to a conference I was speaking at, and from the minute I got in the car, spent 5 hours on the road, then finally reached our destination, we had no idea what was wrong.

Then I read to small print of the azilect, and POW, there it was...joint pain. I have osteoarthritis and was born with thin discs in my back. Add that to years of baseball and basketball and BINGO, thought I solved my problem.

Nope, it was the azilect, which I stopped, and was back to my normal self in about 7-10 days.

It always pays to read the little print.

Glad you found the answer.