helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
MrsTNdad

What's best exercise for the PD patient?

I love to exercise and always have. The thing I find most frustrating is that there are exercises for your facial expressions, vocal cords, balance ect. Some say tai chi,some say walk ect. Since pd effects everything how does one find the time to do all the exercises for all the various body parts effected by pd and still have a life

• Like 1

Noah,  Excercise when you can.

I'm usually leaving the house around 5:00 am.  So on the drive into work (no traffic) I love cranking up the radio and doing some vocal work outs.  Just even count to ten.  Repeat Louder,  repeat once again louder!      

When I walk into the office, no one is in the building. So time to start with big steps, head up, shoulders back... and, with a big voice and big cadence:

US ARMY AIRBORNE SCHOOL

I saw an old lady running down the street
Had a chute on her back, jump boots on her feet
Said, "Hey old lady, where you goin' to?"
She said, "US Army Airborne School"
Whatcha gonna do when you get there?
Jump from a plane and fall through the air
I said, "Hey old lady, ain't you been told?
Airborne School's for the brave and the bold."
She said, "Hey, now soldier, don't be a fool,
I'm an instructor at Airborne School!"

(there is another version of this, that was axed as it wasn't for mixed company.... but my first wife - who was Army Mash unit- taught me about Airborne Mama.....    Yes that was their marching cadence.    But still love that cadence).

Building maintenance folks were in the office early, and heard me calling that out.... and I got a ONE TWO SOUND OFF from the other end of the building!  :)    I'm civilian, btw.... but even I learned to jump out of a  vehicle when on base (any weather) at 5pm and salute (when taps played!).  Always fun in German sleet storms!

Once in my office (thankfully with a door) I'll have conference calls on speaker phone, office door closed.  So I can listen while I do my stretches.   Form of Yoga.

Even walking to the bathroom, focus on your stride.... posture. Heel Toe.

In the evening, while watching TV, run through my stretching. Leg lifts,  folded leg kicks,  knee presses (pillow under knee while I'm on my back), leg lifts.    Table lifts,  Tibetan table (palms together, under my back), and a few others.    

So during the day I have zero time to exercise, but got in 30 to 60 minutes.  Just keep moving/stretching/breathing. 

Edited by TexasTom
  • Like 1

TexasTom .. excellent point of bringing exercises into your daily routine whenever you are able to.  

I think we tend to think of exercising continuously for 30/60 minutes .. in a gym or walking path.  I like that you brought up different ways to incorporate the exercises into your 'regular' life.

and don't forget the little extra doses of Sinemet........ or you'll end up a puddle of Parky Goo.......

btw, I never give up my midnight bicycle rides......... I ride year round as long as it's not raining.........

Edited by AB-Normal

AB Normal I have had to give up my biking. I love to bike my husband and I used to go for hours but know I feel my balance is off and I am afraid of falling. You feel safe enough to bike?

• Like 1

My family doc kept pleading with me to try yoga. No way is this man going to do that crap!!!  Well........I tried it once.  Result = I wish I would have tried it a long time ago. Now I try to go twice per week. There are things I can't do. It sure helped my balance. I can deal with anxiety A LOT better. I have found that you have to find the right yoga teacher/right class. A few just didn't click with me.  After a while I found out yoga is much more than doing funny twisting movements. I've found that yoga practice isn't about what type of person you are....It's about what type of person you want to become. Those who do yoga know what I mean.  It might not be for everyone, but for me I'm very happy I found it.

Edited by magma
  • Like 1

AB Normal I have had to give up my biking. I love to bike my husband and I used to go for hours but know I feel my balance is off and I am afraid of falling. You feel safe enough to bike?

Start looking for a recumbent tricycle.     I started using a two wheel recumbent, due to my lower back.    After a year, oddest thing was I could use my mountain bike again!  Just easy cycling helped heal my back. That was good, and not expected. 

I'm thinking of getting a recumbent tricycle.   Allows my arms to stay low, pedal, and still be able to get moving.  As long as I am riding I'm fine with a good balance.  It is when I stop for 10 minutes I turn into the Parky Goo (per AB-N).  A recumbent tricycle would allow me to not worry about that and keep on cycling.  

www.catrike.com     -- it's a small market, but in larger cities scour Craigslist for used ones. Often people buy one, don't use it, sell it two years later.  I'm still looking, one I want is $2700 new (not cheap!) but used they are still listing for $2200 or so, but just need to find one first.

Back to stretching when you can....  video gives an idea.  This looks like someone summarizing the one of their PT classes. Do not over stretch, turn as far as you feel comfortable, then STOP.    20 year old seem to think it we bend more, we are like a gumby doll. Just doesn't work that way.  So stretch only while remaining in comfort.   This is one place a PT will really help in keeping your corrected.

Fifteen minutes long, but super easy to do these while at work, eating lunch, watching TV.....   you get the idea, KEEP MOVING!

This video is awesome!!!  Thanks for sharing.

I can promise you that rolling the ball with the bottom of your foot is wonderful!  

I am beginning to get that slouched look.  When I asked my MDS he said I need to strenghten my back.  Anybody using exercises to strengthen your back. I have a yoga ball but am  unsure how to use it to strengthen my back. Any suggestions?

noah, lay in your back, knees bent touching the floor/bed, lift your butt up and hold for count of 5, relax then do it again....PT  folks call it bridges...strengthen but ab and back muscles...you can do it either on the floor or on bed...good luck

patricia

Whether you have PD or not, MOST people around 60 yrs old are out of shape. Most are overweight, aren't active, and don't take care of themselves. Anything you can do to stay active is going to help you.....walking, weightlifting, cycling, swimming, etc.

• Like 1

Noah - go to the fitstar.com website and you can see what it's all about. It adapts to you and your fitness level. There is a free version so you can try it out. They only have an iOS app so far but are talking about an Android app soon.

Best,

Don J

• Like 1

I'm signed up for LSVT BIG  (Lee Silverman Voice Training -- Movement).   Four one hour sessions four times a week, for four weeks.   I'll start next week.  My PT commented I did good on the incoming evaluation, and since I do 30 minutes of stretching, I should do quite well with the program. I'm still not the most stable, but sinemet has helped. 

I had written about attending a quick presentation last fall.   Ten separate movements, each repeated 10 times.   I was blown away how much better I felt after that simple workshop. It's a strengthening program, but more of a relearning mind <> muscle movements.    

Tomorrow is supposed to be back in the 60's!  I haven't been on my bicycle with this 35F high stuff.  Just way too stiff to get moving, but looking forward to warm enough get/keep moving.  

Tom

• Like 1

I'm still not the most stable,

Hummmm....... Are trying to say, that Parky people are (or might be) "unstable"???????  Of course, I've never been completely stable....... lol

• Like 1

I'm confident that for my husband and my sister (both have PD), exercise is medicine. In fact, attending a week-long physical therapy retreat for people with PD just after my husband retired on disability in 2012 was life-changing for us. The 2015 retreat in Arizona still has room in the second week to be held in June. Check out the link below for more info. The retreat is led by Dr. Becky Farley who developed the BIG program. In the retreat, PWR! Moves take "BIG" a leap ahead. 

http://www.pwr4life.org/retreat/

Edited by Golden01

Too funny Michael.  Then again at the gun range everyone does back up when I'm shooting!   I really should wear my medical "Parkinson's bracelet"  just so they realize "Oh, it's only a Parkie.... "

Golden1 -- I looked at that.   $3975 for PWP & Partner, dinner not included.  OUCH!    I'm sure that is a great week, but for the money would rather spend it on a 7 day Alaska Cruise for my wife and I. 

It is expensive but for my husband it has been worth every penny. What we need are those PTs on the cruise to Alaska! That would be quite a trip. June is hot in Arizona too.