helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Ljubica Lojan

Freezing

6 posts in this topic

In many cases optimization of medication dose, moving doses more frequently, and using physical therapy and cueing tips can be helpful.  There are some patients who do not respond to these strategies, but a surprising number do respond.

1 person likes this

I have only had 2 freezing episodes. Some tips I remember were think of a song that you could march to, step side ways, or pretend there is a line on the floor that you need to cross over

Those are both excellent tips for freezing in Parkinson's disease.  They are referred to as cues.  The brain systems damaged in Parkinson's disease tend to respond to cues.

Dear Dr Okun,

You are saying that my husband's brain got damaged from Parkinson and that is the reason he has freezing. I fail to understand why episodes are happening rather in small spaces and when he is more tired. Is this happening in all advanced cases of PD?

We don't know exactly the answer to that question.  Some people believe the PD patient sees the world as smaller than what it is-- and freezes.  Most scientists believe it is a change in the neural circuitry that leads to freezing and problems in small spaces.